Fuel Leaks

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of quick updates while I attend to our tow car & caravan before the next big RHOCAR meeting:

Stoneleigh show is over, I can now start tinkering again :)

New indicators fitted

New handbrake gaiter fitted

New gearstick gaiter fitted

Hollowell booked and the RH2B shopping list for the dark months is getting bigger and bigger.....!

• Like 1

Just to add to the argument here, we did a 2B yesterday which had a leaking fuel hose and sure enough, it looks like the factory used some pretty crappy single-walled overbraided fuel hose to bridge between the plastic tunnel pipes and the tank/pump/filter/etc. Car 8 years old I believe. Pretty much every hose at the back had perished and just crumbled when removed from the components - so not surprising one had started leaking, and all the others were not going to be far behind it. We replaced the lot with some proper 8mm twin-walled fuel hose.

I know I and many others have already said it, but at least this highlights that clearly some cheap fuel hose was distributed in the mid-noughties and you should keep an eye on it. It is a stainless overbraid with red and blue coloured flecks on it, and the hose is quite thing and clearly just a single rubber layer/wall.

I am seeing if I can arrange a discount from www.racing-lines.com for the club, will put the relevant people on each side in touch if I can. These guys are good prices on both fuel hose, braided hose including solid PTFE type, all sorts of hydraulic and pressure fittings, and braided brake lines - they make up braided and nylon-covered, swaged brake lines with Goodridge-style fittings on site, while you wait, at vastly cut prices to the Goodridge stuff. I have lots of their work in my competition car and the quality is unquestioned.

Edited by brumster

I know I and many others have already said it, but at least this highlights that clearly some cheap fuel hose was distributed in the mid-noughties and you should keep an eye on it. It is a stainless overbraid with red and blue coloured flecks on it, and the hose is quite thing and clearly just a single rubber layer/wall.

Sound exactly like the fuel hose I had to remove, felt cheap compared to the replacement hose I got.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm...my new fuel pipes may come in handy soon......(number 1 task for Dark months......fit new Carbs).

After lots of zooming around as either passenger or driver, I suddenly realised the 1600 carbs on the 2000 engine is really holding it back.

On a a plus point, its very frugal on fuel.... :rofl:

There nothing more embarrassing than your wife trying to take on a scooby and watching it disappear into the distance. :80:

• 3 weeks later...

Arrrgggghhh....this is getting embarrassing, been the the last 2 meet-ups ......Without the car!

Had a great night out at Leicester last week and this week at the West Midlands meet-up, but the bloody Car refused to come out of the garage for me.

Even thou the wife had been using is all day, everyday while the kids are at school and I'm at work.

Time now to trace back the wiring loom and try and find out why the car is as dead as a doornail.

The lights are on, but nobody is at home...It's lost its spark :(