Iva Exhaust Levels

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Guest Spencer Griffiths

What figure do I put for the max engine power on a 2.0 Pinto to get the GBS exhaust can through the noise test? Spoke to Simon at the factory earlier and he said their are 2 options on the form KW or BHP and one is tested at 2/3 and one at 3/4 but he didn't know which. The Sierra manual says 77 kw at 5200 rpm.

Apparently you need about 3800 rpm for the GBS can to pass. All GBS deal with now is Zetecs so don't seem to know about Pintos anymore.

Thanks

Spencer

IVA noise measurements are taken at 75% of the maximum power engine rpm regardless of wheher it's quoted in bhp or KW so that's still 3900rpm if you declare 77KW @ 5200 rpm.

Unless you've got an accurate, calibrated dB meter to do a test of your own system, then you might be well advised to give your silencer some additional 'assistance' to get it through the test.

Guest chris brown

Unless you've got an accurate, calibrated dB meter to do a test of your own system, then you might be well advised to give your silencer some additional 'assistance' to get it through the test.

I would think even with a good db meter you will need additional silencing to get it through.

Guest Spencer Griffiths

If the Sierra manual says 77kw at 5200 rpm for a new engine, should an adjustment be made to allow for the engine being 40 years old? Where are you meant to get the figures from?

when I did a track day at Mallory park I had the 1.6 pintosorus and the db limit was 95 I produced 97 so had to make a quick technical adjustment back in the pits managed to get it down to 91 so I was aloud onto the track drove out of the pit lane got half way round gerrads and it blew the technical adjustment strait out luckily they didn't do anymore tests so I had a good day

Db killers goes in the 4 branch to can joint

Look at Sierra manual and pick high compression engine spec

Something like 110 bhp at 5200 should be fine and photocopy the page from the Haynes to corroborate, the only thing they are interested in is where peak power is in the rev range not the actual power, this is so they can rev engine to 2/3 for sound test, that's all.

Another area of confusion is the max speed, people panic and quote low but testers know the top speed will be at least the top speed of the donor, however the only reason for asking is to make sure your tyres are rated for the top speed.

The VOSA testers are a knowledgable bunch so you can only really err on the conservative with your figures or they will be alerted and dig further.

Guest petelee

Hi Guys!

I'm just about to apply for my IVA Test for my 2B/4, at Nottingham. I've got a standard 2.0 Pinto, with the twin-downpipe standard (budget) 2B exhaust. I've stuffed scouring pads up the tailpipe, and into the silencer itself, as there's no join between the pipes and the silencer, so there's no other way of getting any packing in there. It does seem to have killed the sound quite well - I just hope it doesn't blow out on the journey to the test centre!

I'm also having difficulty deciding whether to drive the 60 miles to the Test Centre, or to hire a trailer and 4x4 and driver. What happens if I break down (overheat, for example) on the way - is that £450 down the drain?