Trying To Start Pinto

Guest Bryan TheSnail

Guest Bryan TheSnail

Hi,

I am trying to start up my 2.0 Pinto for the first time.

It's about the only thing fitted to the car and I want to make sure it runs before progressing any further with the build.

It's fitted with a webber twin choke that came of another members 2.0l Pinto so that should be ok.

I have ran a temporary fuel supply to this carb.

I have connected the starter + lead direct to the battery and the earth directly from the engine back to the battery. The coil is bolted directly onto the bell housing so that should be earhed.

The low tension lead from the condensor is connected to the negative terminal on the coil. The positive is connected directly to the battery.

I can spin the engine via the starter by touching the + lead onto the + on the battery.

Problem is the bugger wont start, it's not even popping or banging.

I have noticed that the spark on the plugs seems quiet weak and yellow, I was expecting a blue spark on the plugs.

Where have I gone wrong? It must be something daft.and simple.

Bryan

Guest Bryan TheSnail

Hi,

The temp fep supply is direct to the card, I have a length of hose attached to a funnel which I have elevated above the carb, so the fuel is being gravity fed.

The fuel is getting through as the plugs do get wet. The fuel is fresh.

The timing marks on the crank and cam line up and the rotor arm points towards the notch in the dizzy.

There is a small black in line box which I think may be a suppressor which I have not connected anywhere as I dont know where it should go, or if it is required.

As I am only getting a yellow spark, it looks like I need to change the condensor. This was new, aas where the plugs, leads, points, rotor arm and dizzy cap. The coil is off the donor car.

Bryan

Guest Bryan TheSnail

Hi Bryan , Do you want me to come and have a look, another head is sometimes useful in spotting something you have missed. Give me a ring or pm me . Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the offer, I will give you a call in the week. May try and get John R to come and take a look as well, sure he is a Pinto expert.

We are off to "Fastlane" at Corbridge today.

Bryan

Guest peter2b2002

to run you need a spark, fuel +air if the spark is too weak or at the wrong time it won't fire up of if the fuel/air ratio is too rich/weak it wont fire if the spark is weak but the rest are spot on it should try to fire up, double check timing , points etc, wet plugs mean no spark

peter2b

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Bryan TheSnail

Finally got the bugger to start with a lot of help from two club members, a big thankyou to John and Artie.

After a lot of checking and tinkering the problem was chased to the valve timing.

I had lined the pointer on the piper cams adjustable pulley to the position where the standatd pulley would line up. This was in fact about 45' too early!

The camshaft was lined up by eye using the cam lobes on no.1 piston to judge where the valves should be in relation to TDC.

The engine now fires up. A bit rough, spits flames back through the inlett manifold, but should be good enough to be set up on a rolling road in the future.

Now that I know the engine does fire up I can start to progress with the build.

Trying to leave the body work till near the end to gain maximum access for all the other jobs.