Is This My Battery?

theduck

Following a gentle but large oversteer moment yesterday in which I stalled, the spitfire wouldn't restart without a bump. Few hours later it started fine.

This morning wouldnt start. Jumped with battery off the kit (which has different fixings so couldn't just replace) and started first time. Then started misfiring about 15minutes in to journey, lost all power and cut out. Won't restart even with jump off kits battery that I took with me just in case.

So is it knackered battery or something else?

By not starting, do you mean it wouldn't crank over at all, cranked slowly or cranked but wouldn't fire?

Personally I'd just stick a battery on it anyway, especially if it's of unknown age. Even if you did a massive slide, I can't see it would move stuff around any more than normal cornering - which might disturb wiring due to movement.

Has it go the old style Lucas electric fuel pump - the dodgy one that packs up at the slightest provocation? Dodgy pump might cause fuel starvation.

Edited by richyb66

check earths etc

Checked main earth and this was ok

Just to add I was pretty certain battery was the answer but wanted to check with you lot that it was a sensible sounding conclusion.

Edited by theduck

My thoughts Ian, I have ordered a new alternator that should be here tomorrow. Cheap enough to make buying it to eliminate it as a possible fault worthwhile. Will try and claim under halfords guarantee for the battery an then fit new battery and alternator together.

Interestingly, I tried te old battery to see if it would work and it did.

Have confirmed alternator had it. New one will e here tomorrow. Then just got to fix the Stuck on brake lights, speedo drive and no flashing indicators.

You know what though? None of this bothers me like it would normally on a car i use as a daily drive.