Went To View An S7 Today. I Have A Few Questions

Guest A.B

Fitting the sump gasket, I've got the baffle with a pre fitted gasket;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161325012852

As it's a double gasket that needs fitting, do I wrap another gasket around the baffle or place it on the pan side or the block side?

Don't want to copy the original fitment just incase it was wrong, hence the leak!

Any help would be great

Edited by A.B

hiya.....

the baffle has a gasket bonded each side.....

it doesnt need anything else......but i used sealant both sides as i am *******ed off with oil leaks...

but i still have oil seeping out.....

seems to be a fact of like with the XE.

be extra careful round the oil pump, & the rear main bearing cap.

The bonded gasket itself doesn't seem enough to pad it out... There was an extra gasket on before. Do I need some shorter sump bolts for it to mate properly?

Thanks for confirming that... I measured and re measured then got very confused! Might as well buy some stainless while I'm at it!

Really appreciate the quick responce. Saved me a headache or possibly ruining the baffle! I owe you a beer!

Hoping to have the car together for the annual meet and a few other meets if you don't mind a new person coming along!

With the XE I used double cork gaskets and baffle plate with Wynns black gasket maker on every surface. Plus thread lock on the bolts as they work loose due to the low torque setting. That seemed to work quite well if it was done with the engine out and upside down on a stand and left for 24 hours to cure.

On the Z20LET I've fully baffled the sump, ditched the baffle plate and use one cork gasket with Wynns, shorter bolts and thread lock done on the stand and that's oil tight.

Starting to realise there's no such thing as a 'quick job' on these cars! I'm a perfectionist which makes things worse. I will use dirko grey... I think it's VW stuff, I have a load of it from somewhere!

I shall get some smaller bolts for the sump and use the 8v baffle considering I already have it and I've never used cork before.

ditched the baffle plate and use one cork gasket

Now thats a thought......I never thought about ditching the baffle plate,

but the SBD sump I have already has a horizontal plate just above the oil level, it just

has a small gap all round the sides to let the oil drain back down.

Next time the engine is out......

It comes in a pressurised cannister with a nozzle, just apply a bead to all the mating faces and make the joints as usual. If you're using the baffle plate with the rubber seal you don't use any sealant. Thread lock on the sump bolts is the important bit with the vauxhall engines

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of advise on the rocker cover and oil returns...

What are my options if I remove the 90 bend that returns the oil back down the oil dipstick tube. what fitment does that adapter have?

Can I take it off and screw in a Y adapter one from the oil cooler return and the other going down to the dipstick tube going back to the sump or would that back things up too much?

Any other options would be great... Sure someone's done something similar before?

At the moment I have a welded on section to the pipe that returns the oil from the cooler to the sump via the dipstick tube but it's not the best

Any help would be great!