Went To View An S7 Today. I Have A Few Questions

Guest A.B

Be careful....these cars bite badly.

Get used to it first, sticky tyres are a very good idea, but some trackday tyres are a b***er in the wet...

.I have Toyo 888s that are amazing in the dry & amazingly scary when cold or wet....when its cold and wet just stay home.

What gearbox is fitted? the type 9 1st gear is very low, & ratios arent best suited to a tuned XE....keep an eye out for a

modified one.....also a 3.9 diff is probably the best for that engine, it will like to rev.

I think it's a type 9, 1st is very short & a pain... I was going to ask about that. What's the best way to solve that, uprated gear ratios from a 2.8 v6? The diff I believe is a 3.9. It's going to be a fair weather car to be honest. I'm 27, use to drive my clio 182 like miss daisy or so my friends said! I like the thought of power but very rarely put it down! My friends know I'm a quick driver after a few track days and go karting... That's enough for me!

I also purchased a halfords car cover £49.99 but it seems to do the job rather well!! It's a size small and it's elastic front and back fit very well and there's 3 clips that secure it underneath... Imagine it would be quite good in a down poor as you could slide the elastic over each end then slide under and sit in your seat if you're in the middle of nowhere!

eg8vh5.jpg

Edited by A.B

Modified gearboxes arent cheap, but they do make a big difference to the driving experience.

I have an E7 from BGH, first is good for almost 50mph (with an 8k rev limit).

If you can rebuild the box, they sell gearkits a bit cheaper.

Someone here recently found a Caterham 6 speed box at a good price.....keep looking.

http://www.bghgearte...l/bgh_home.html

http://locost7.info/gearcalc.php

Edited by Bob Tucker

The link doesnt woork.

All XEs leak from the sump gasket....regardless of whats fitted.

Ive tried

cork with metal discs

cork without disks

u shaped rubber gasket

they all leak..

The nearest to a decent seal is a new windage plate that has a rubber gasket bonded to each side of it.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ad4740156

That one doesnt leak so much..

Edited by Bob Tucker

Nice to see and hear how keen you are. Before you go zipping off please take some time to go over the car from one end to the other. Look for loose nut and bolts, check everything is as it should be. The series 3s and S7s are prone to cracking. I'm not trying to P--s on your fire at all by the way. Just want you to keep smiling which means being safe. The cracking is most common across the front suspension beam where it is welded to the main tub, the welds themselves crack. Also underneath where the bottom panels of the floor meet the cockpit part of the tub. Also around rear spring mounts. My S3a passed its MOT last weekend without any problems. Not bad for a 17 year old kit. However due to the rain over the last 2 days I've spent the time in the garage pottering about. I put the car on the ramps for a look see and found the cracking on the bottom panels as described above. These must have been there for the MOT and not noticed. I do check all the places that they are known to crack quite often. So what i'm saying is that regular checks are needed to spot these things. All welded up now and going for a run out this morning. Its sunny. Enjoy your new toy. :diablo:

I had a look at most of the sections you suggested before purchase, the local MOT guy rich is great and a friend of my old mans so he always goes over everything in detail so I will ask him to check the areas you suggested in depth! Second pair of eyes always helps. Better to be safe than sorry! Really appreciate the guidance

Its good to have someone like your dads mate who knows what they are doing. Also he will have a proper car lift for MOT work etc which helps a great deal. Just remember, any problem you find , someone on the forum will have had it before. Just ask, you always get help one way or another.

I'm looking at a PC680 battery, it a high power motorbike battery... It seems a lot of the corsa conversions fit these under their seat. It's a lot smaller so would give me a bit more room for storage behind the seats. £90 though.

Also looking at the halfords pro 170 piece socket & ratchet set as all of my usual stuff I've used as an electrician, sometimes not for it's purpose and it's all just jumbled up in a tool box. It would be nice to have everything in one place. It's got great reviews and a fraction of the price of snap on yet still has a lifetime guarantee.

It's currently on special & if you bundle it with the spanner set you save much more!

Has anyone used these?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=862463&langId=-1&categoryId=255215

I'm looking at a PC680 battery, it a high power motorbike battery... It seems a lot of the corsa conversions fit these under their seat. It's a lot smaller so would give me a bit more room for storage behind the seats. £90 though.

Also looking at the halfords pro 170 piece socket & ratchet set as all of my usual stuff I've used as an electrician, sometimes not for it's purpose and it's all just jumbled up in a tool box. It would be nice to have everything in one place. It's got great reviews and a fraction of the price of snap on yet still has a lifetime guarantee.

It's currently on special & if you bundle it with the spanner set you save much more!

Has anyone used these?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=862463&langId=-1&categoryId=255215

That's the exact set I've just fitted a zetec with and pretty much bugger all else, that and the welding help of another member. Might explain why it took me so long and didn't work for ages but that's all I had none the less. Don't get them wet, they get surface rust very quickly.