Went To View An S7 Today. I Have A Few Questions

Guest A.B

The V6 box has better ratios but the input shaft is to long

I fitted one with a Caterham bellhousing spacer

Retro Ford do the spacer but check for bearing cut out

It moves the engine 30mm forward so beware of exhaust manifold hitting edge of side exit hole, steering column and alternator and cam belt getting close to the nose

this is a good thread on early/late engines.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/397365-round-tooth-square-tooth-swappable-block.html

My own engine is a hybrid as recommended by SBD, but couldnt find a coscast head.

I got one modified by Autosprint instead

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/History_files/History_BudgetHorsepower.htm

I have a coscast head spare. It came with the car along with a few other pieces from the engine before the sdb tuned one was dropped in.

Going forward, first job is to sort out the fuel pick up issue. The only problem is it's got a full tank as the previous owner decided he'd rather fill it up so it would pick up rather than spend the time for the cheaper option... sort it.

Any tips on how's best to do this?

I'm also confused on the location of the fuel breather pipe... It's in the engine bay, sounds a terrible idea to me!! Or is this common practice? If you overfill the car it comes out of the breather pipe!

I think it's a type 9, 1st is very short & a pain... I was going to ask about that. What's the best way to solve that, uprated gear ratios from a 2.8 v6? The diff I believe is a 3.9.

The way forward is a BGH gearset, I would agree, I have one myself - rebuilt it into my type 9. Got the Road E2 Heavy Duty kit with the extra option for a shorter 5th, which works well given the K-series is a lot revvier than the original Pinto. Uprated 2nd gear lubrication, replacement roller bearing for the layshaft, plus nicely stacked ratios that are easier on the synchros. It's lovely; really keeps the engine on boil.

A caterham 6 speed would be ideal for my engine, but I'll look to that as a future upgrade maybe, not something for now with the money I've invested in this type 9....! For a big grunty 2 litre vauxhall, the 6 speed is probably not all that ideal actually.... it's got a 1:1 top end so will be very short; great if you're got no torque but for your application I think you'll be able to twist a 5 speed perfectly adequately ;)

Will the pick up be within the tank via a grommet or just in the top and I can pull it out? Might be a daft question but I've never done anything like that!

Thinking of running some stainless braid all the way through the car while I'm at it

If it uses a Sierra tank sender the pickup pipe is part of that. It bolts to the top of the tank.

Depends on what tank is fitted really..

Best bet for fuel pipe is 8mm copper pipe. Any rubber pipe will degrade eventually even if wrapped in stainless braid.

Both ebay items look OK if a bit pricey.

I use standard NGK plugs, BCP7ES (I think)

Guest Ian & Carole

I use standard NGK plugs in the 4AGE @ around £1.50 each and change them every spring when I change the oil and filter.

But I am a tight old fart and £30.00 for plugs does seem an awful lot of money IMHO.

I might go NGK as there's a change the tuning process will mess them up along with the oil!

First thing is the tank pickup pipe.

Where are the Jacking and axel stand points on the S7?

Thanks for the help so far guys

Just trying to have a look at the fuel pick up... Gave the tank a wiggle before starting to drain it via the fuel pump... 1/2 tank down & it's still picking up!

I think part of the issue was a useless battery now giving the pump enough power as the fan is wired permanently directly from the ignition! Charged the battery overnight it's still useless as you can tell the difference between flow when the battery charger is left on and not! It hold next to no charge!

Tank is now drained... I've dropped it down a bit but I'm struggling to completely release it. Access is unknown I gather everyone does their own thing. Im certainly stuck for the time being as I don't want to pull the tank down

2w4l94l.jpg

The pipe on the bottom i gather is the breather? If so why does it run through to the engine bay. Surely that not right?

Edited by A.B