Strange Handling ?

speedtripledan

If the left wheel pulled forwards under power, the bottom ball joint will move forwards and will be turning the wheel left, which is what is happening.

Took a while to think about it ... :)

Simon.

I disagree Simon. The rotational force will be pulling the bottom balljoint rearwards. The top ball joint would be forced forwards.

The change in castor angle would allow torque steer which would increase as the wheel started to turn more.

Correct me if I'm wrong mate, every days a school day. :)

I was also considering the fact that the road wheel has contact with the ground hence the twisting action of the driveshaft will mean that the shaft will be pulled forwards by the action of the wheel and tyre trying to drive the car forwards.

If the bottom ball joint has movement, this will be pulled forwards, altering the castor angle and also turning the roadwheel to the left at the same time.

On braking, the opposite will happen.

I would agree with you - if the wheel was in the air and not exerting any force on the ground, what you said would indeed happen.

:)

Simon.

• Like 1

After 3 or 4 mental visualizations of your theory I do agree Simon, the wheel and hub assembly would out accelerate the mass of the car. Path of last resistance!

Like I said, every days a school day! :)

• Like 2

careful if you try swapping tyres from side to side as a lot of modern tyres (as you prob know) are directional. If you swap side to side they will be rotating the wrong way and you'll go backwards ;)

front to back on the same side or get the tyres swapped over on the rims.

careful if you try swapping tyres from side to side as a lot of modern tyres (as you prob know) are directional. If you swap side to side they will be rotating the wrong way and you'll go backwards ;)

front to back on the same side or get the tyres swapped over on the rims.

Wouldn't putting the diff in upside down compensate for the backward rolling tyres though?

Guest JammyJim

Had this on car year's ago after garage fitted new lower wishbone on warranty, turned out new bushes were soft.

Edited by JammyJim

I like the tyre swap argument above :)

It's not that the tyres go backward (although that was an interesting thought !)

It's because the tyres will eject water when going the right way round and would tend to trap water if they are fitted the wrong way round which would increase the risk of hydroplaning and going through the nearest hedge ...

... Just in case you wondered :)

Simon.

5 reverse gears ,1 forward ?

Come on Mick, surely that's only if you fit the gearbox upside down.....

On a more serious note....

directional tyres on a car have the point of the V facing forwards (at the top of the tyre)

Motorbikes have their directional front tyres fitted the other way.....Ive been trying to work out why..

but my brain cells are all used up now with rotational directional backwards wind in the east car turns left stuff

Back to bed for a rest now...