Preventing Rust On A Ka

steve_wilson

Hi all,

Not on a hood, but on my daily drive, which is a mk1 ford ka.

I know these are little rust buckets, so I'm only going to be able to delay the inevitable.

It's an 05 plate with 37k miles on it and the sills are starting to rust through. I had a look underneath today and there are several 30-40mm diameter rust blisters, some of which have burst exposing very rusty steel underneath.

The car isn't worth spending a fortune on by replacing/patching sills and so on, so if there's any way of prolonging the life left in it for not a huge outlay I'd like to hear it please!

I did think grinding the rust patches down to bare metal and painting some sort of sealant on top? I guess protecting the inside of the sill is just as important as well though, however as far as I can see I don't have access?!

I'm not really in a position to replace the car at the moment, hence why I'm trying to make it last!

All suggestions welcome

Much appreciated,

Steve

My dad's trick for rusty areas was to paint it in used engine oil, nothing else! If it's already thin i'd be worried about grinding it at all

I feel your pain on this one Steve! My Daily driver is an 04 plate cosmetically scruffy Ka with 75000 on the clock and dents all over it. The clutch decided to destroy itself last Friday so had to have it done this week.

I was gutted as the clutch cost £550 to replace and the car is probably worth less than that :o. I'm in the same boat as you though - can't afford to replace it for another 18 months or so - so you have to keep it going :(

Sorry I can't help you with your original problem though (although I got a rust patch as an advisory last year so may be interested in any helpful replies you get to this).

Cheers

Tony

Edited by FERRINO

scrapping or replacing isn't an option unfortunately, as said it needs to last me another year or so and then it can go to the scrappy.

I've done a good bit of googling and the best ive come up with is;

use a wire wheel to get the flakey paint/rust off

treat the rust using kurust

paint hammerite underbody seal with added waxoyl onto the area

there still is metal beneath the rusty scabs, I couldn't poke it through so im confident I'll be able to make a reasonable job of it.

will give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on!