Jag V6 3.0 Into My 2B

Guest david_l_perry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest david_l_perry

Just picked up my toy car today from the rolling road and drove it home for the first time

The guy wants it back next week or week after to sort out cold starting and low revving settings but I needed to get it for its MOT.....as its an older kit car, it does not get any emissions tested.....

Its had a few power runs and is kicking out pretty much exactly what it should be doing:-

The Jag engine spec says 240bhp at the flywheel

It was measured at 235bhp at the flywheel and 205bhp at the wheels on the rollers...

That's a hole heap of power but its not delivered in a hooligan manner, and should, once its been back in...be a nice smooth drive....

Would like to sort out a modification for the throttle body air intake so its getting more cool air into the filter.

Brakes work, gears work and no coolant leaks and steering didn't collapse....always a bonus....

Mot next week.....

Guest david_l_perry

Nearly done........Had its Mot today and passed, and the MOT guy also sorted me out a letter confirming the engine change so I can get the V5 updated.

Its was very very wet on the way to the MOT station........

116_zps1msywhm6.jpg

Top Result

More shiny pipes arrived to day to allow me to route the air intake to the throttle body from the front, rather than at the back, so it can hopefully get cooler air into the throttle body.

114_zpsq7qneef5.jpg

Tomorrow its being dropped off again at the rolling road so he can hopefully finish the setup and get he over fuelling and cold start sorted out.

Guest 2b cruising

Even though not finished, it must be a lovely drive in comparison to before.

Well done you. *****

Edited by 2b cruising

maybe able to get some stripes on my new drive then dave lol,

Bet the Deakin Brothers were impressed, or are they still saying your headlamps are faulty lol

Mitch

Guest david_l_perry

Headlamps did come into the conversation..... :-)

Very helpful chaps though

He also sorted out my letter to confirm the engine change for the DVLA V5.

Just dropped it off back at the Rolling road this morning and fingers crossed will be picking it up again for a nice comfy drive.

Its sounds lovely when driving along, fantastic burble, its just over fuelling like a pig on overrun......

Gearbox feels great as well compared to my type 9, and bags and bags of power on the go.......

I am soooooooo desperate to take it out for a proper drive now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest david_l_perry

Well. Pretty much all done

Picked up the car last week and other than having an odd overrun farting sound (not a good burble overrun sound) its pulling like a train and amazing fun to drive

Here are the plots from the Rolling road session. The engine original factory spec is 240bhp at the flywheel in the jag, so getting 239 is pretty good considering its from 2001

120_zpszplksbre.jpg

Had several short runs out in it over the weekend and quick blast last night and today....Oooohhhh fantastic

118_zpsuzgzqn0x.jpg

119_zpsgn3xpwhf.jpg

One thing I did over the weekend was to fit some slash pipes for the exhaust.

The Output on the cans I have is very short and stubby and a longer shiny bent tube was thrust in and pushed a few more times till it stuck.....I then twisted the nuts and it wont go anywhere now.

Here is the original stubby bit:-

122_zpszatqns0k.jpg

And here is the extra length added:-

123_zpsjyjlhyhc.jpg

Adding these pipes was suggested by the rolling road guy to try and remove some of the unusual overrun farting sound, and I have to say its gone a long way to help.

The original exhaust outlet was firing pretty much straight onto the wheel arch, and other than making them filthy, it was also creating a fair bit of noise.

Its still not perfect, and I think I will be changing the Exhaust cans further down the line for some larger re-packable cans from car builder solutions, but at £220 per side for a can, It can wait a while.

The car really really sounds nice on the go........

I am using my car Friday to take my Nephew to his school Prom. Just had run out to find the place and it was blisteringly hot, but the car never skipped a beat, and ran well.

Overall...top result

114_zpsq7qneef5.jpg

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest Ian Maycock

Top Job Dave.

You must be very proud. It has inspired me to really think of doing the same. I have been kicking around in my mind since you first started out on your journey.

Guest 2b cruising

Well done.

If I'd have done this job I would be really proud of myself, so I hope you re.

Must be a great fun or normal drive car now. Nice and smooth without turbo boost.

Hmm. Pity I am nearly all ready for my Vauxhall kit. Most bits already bought now, so sticking with it.

Guest david_l_perry

Still got a few other mods to make to get it to exactly what I want from this car

New diff is on its way. Changing the original 3.62 to a 3.14 diff.

This will suit the lower revving high torque Jag Engine and box really well and give me the relaxed longer runs on the Mway that I am after.

Currently 3000 revs has me at 75mph

With the 3.14 diff that changes to 86mph - or I cruise at 75mph and drop the revs

I don't do track days or racing, but use this for fun drives and longer runs / tours and the low ratio diff gets closer to the original Jag diff ratio of 3.0.

Happy days

Guest 2b cruising

You have thought very well about this and I hope it all comes to a super end product.

Just a little one for you.

I doubt if you would get an even lower diff but it certainly handle one. If you think of the jag weight as opposed to yours.

You would possibly end up doing 75 at lower than diesel revs.

That's a point. Any diesel ones that would fit?

Bye. I'm gone now.

Guest david_l_perry

The 3.14 is from a diesel Sierra.

I think this diff will give a good balance between touring and still having enough balls to take the skin off me when I want :)