Fog Light To Only Work On Dipped And Main Beam

Guest Jonnyround2003

You currently have relays fitted for the main and dip beam I think. I'm assuming your headlights do actually work without blowing fuses. There could be a 12v supply to terminals 85 on these relays which is registering back out of terminal 86 through the left column switch and into the link wire. You have connected a wire to the brown/black link wire.

If the above is true then try switching on the headlights. Does this link connection now appear to be an earth. If it does then you have later column switches and negative switching. If it stays 12V pos then you have early column switches and positive switching.

Nigel

Long distance electrics is hard. You need to give feedback to the questions I ask or the assumptions I make. I have no way of being sure that I have worked out exactly how your car is wired.

Do you have a fog light already and it comes on with side lights and headlights?

Can you read the part numbers on one of the column switches? The important bit is the first four numbers/letters. 83BG for early switches or 87BG, 89BG or 90BG for later switches.

You say you have found the link wire between the column switches and it's brown/black. Correct? If so you should have later switches and there should be two relays which control the headlights. Yes?

Nigel

Guest Jonnyround2003

Hi can't see any markings as far as I can tell only one relay works the lights need to double check the fog light has its own cables and comes on with side lights dipped and main beam the black brown links the left to right side collum switches cheers Jon

It doesn't all add up but it appears you have positive switching. You should be able to connect the brown/black to one terminal of the fog light switch. The other terminal of the fog light switch goes to the fog light itself, through it and then to earth.

That is what the duck suggested I think but you said you had tried it and it blew fuses. If that is so when does it blow fuses? With everything off, when you switch ignition on, when you switch the headlights on, when you switch the fog light on, or what?

Nigel

• Like 1

As said before, if a high wattage lamp is connected in place of the fuse that blows you will see at what stage the fuse blew -- because the high wattage lamp ( test lamp) will illuminate when the short circuit condition is present; it will be then possible to disconnect parts of the circuit to clear the fault if/when the test lamp goes out.

Sorry don't have any spare time at present so cannot visit your garage again.

Just blows fuse when I turn the fog light on

What else is switched on when the fuse blows? Ignition? Sidelights? Headlights?

Which fuse blows? Is it headlight fuse? Fog fuse? Or what.

Does it blow if the ignition is off?

Does it blow if the headlights are off?

What else stops working when that fuse has blown?

How many wires go to the foglight switch? Disconnect each one singly and identify their function.

One will be live coming from the sidelight circuit but will only be live when the sidelights are on and is your present supply to the switch.

One will go to the foglights and through them to earth.

Are there any other wires to the switch. There may be an earth. Any others?

Have you removed the column switches, unplugged the plugs that go in the back of them, taken them into good light and searched them for part numbers and terminal numbers with a magnifying glass if necessary? You have to do this.

Nigel

Try this site

http://www.le.ac.uk/eg/pdw/beetle/electrics/fault_finding.htm

If you are switching a live to ground, you are shorting the fuse straight across 12 volts which is why it always blows.

Looks like going back to basics, trace the wires and DRAW a circuit on paper, what goes where and you may see the problem.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Guest Jonnyround2003

The head light fuse blows the fog switch has 3 cables live ground one to fog light. I have tried again to look for makings will have a go again tomorrow thanks again for your help