Fog Light To Only Work On Dipped And Main Beam

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest chris brown

for an mot can the rear fog just work off a switch and come on wether lights are on or not so basically have the rear fog come on with just an ignition live so independant of car dip or main beam being on

no fog light to work only when headlights selected and must go out when headlights turned off and not come back on the next time headlights are switched on until fog light is selected.

Not difficult to do just use push button (momentary) switch and a latching relay ( a normal relay wired so as soon as the contacts close as well as feeding thr fog light it feeds its own coil so stays energized until the power is removed, switching off the headlights in this case.

Edited by chris brown

Guest ali2992

isn't there a rule now about once headlights turned off, the fog light should be off until then explicitly switched on again? if the feed for the fog light switch is taken from main beam, and it's a latching switch, and then headlights are turned off - won't the fog light just turn on again the next time headlights are turned on? how would you get around the latching issue?

Guest chris brown

isn't there a rule now about once headlights turned off, the fog light should be off until then explicitly switched on again? if the feed for the fog light switch is taken from main beam, and it's a latching switch, and then headlights are turned off - won't the fog light just turn on again the next time headlights are turned on? how would you get around the latching issue?

that is the reason for using a latching switch/relay once power is removed latch releases and needs to be reset next time fog light is required.

Guest ali2992

that is the reason for using a latching switch/relay once power is removed latch releases and needs to be reset next time fog light is required.

Ah OK, I haven't tested yet if my savage switch does that, I always just assumed it was a physical latch

Guest Jonnyround2003

This is really doing my head in now can anyone draw me a diogram on how to stop main beam and dipped beam working on the same switch I just need one cable to the fog switch for main beam only !!!! Everything I try still brings on both ! Iv tried running cables from the mainbeam blue with white line and blue with red line but still both dipped and main still make the fog switch work aaahhhhh