Brake Master Cylinder Advice

rthomas69

I'm in the process of building a 3A (was started by someone 20+ years ago & has sat since). It was fitted with the sierra donor brakes, new discs etc at the front, but most of the rear missing so I've opted for rear discs to make it a bit more up to date & possibly a bit more stopping power for the heavily modified 2.1 pinto, but now comes the problem, the master cylinder (servo) which was used is huge as it fouls the exhaust manifold & the reservoir fouls the bonnet & there is not enough movement/space to relocate it. What do you guys recommend? I'm assuming a non servo master cylinder, but do I need duel cylinders (front/rear) or is there an easy proven route?

Cheers

Rich

Guest chris brown

You can use the same master cylinder without the servo you will need a pushrod from tiger. It makes the brakes a bit heavy but much better feel and you soon get used to them.

I'm changing mine but due to to not having a vacuum to run the servo as im running bike carbs so I've opted for a master cylinder from a ford ka seems to be a popular choice as the bore is smaller than that of a Sierra so will be easier to use and you can get one with the correct amount of outlets you require 2/3/4 etc.

Guest 2b cruising

If you feel the servo is a must, you can always get one that is mounted remote from the master cylinder.

It, or any other can be driven by a diesel vacuum pump.

Basically they are another master cylinder operated by your normal m/cylinder.

They can be mounted anywhere on the car.

Easy and most preferred route by kit owners in the club is to delete the use of them altogether.

Stoneliegh shoe is not that far from yourself on 3rd and 4th May. It is an ideal day out. Especially for builders.

Pop into the RHOcAR stand and meat us all.

It will be my first show, and is reportedly an unmissable event.

HTH Ken.

Edited by 2b cruising

Servo fitted in my S3A no problem with room/clearance . Also you wont need extra stopping power from rear discs. These cars are very light and the standard drums on the back are more than up to the job. I,m running a 2.1 pinto, fast cam and bike carbs and stopping is not a problem in fact its quite easy to lock up all four wheels if you hit the brakes too hard.

I've got a 3A. When I bought it a previous owner had fitted a servo which nearly fouled the exhaust, I found it wasn't a sierra one as the sierra one was smaller.

I've got rid of the servo to give me more room and have used a fiat 132 master cylinder ( should give more feel over the sierra one but yet to be proved).

Be warned, I tried to fit the KA one and made up an adaptor plate to line the cylinder vertically but then found that it fouled the bonnet so had to change my idea. I think the Ka works if you have a 2B

• Like 1