Superspec Hot Start - For My Next Trick

alanrichey

There have been a number of threads on this topic, in that the standard Superspec struggles to crank over the engine when it is hot. I have always dreaded stalling at traffic lights as I always worry she won't start. Various suggestions were made:

1. Poor Earth

2. Weak battery

3. ECU leaving timing too far advanced

4. Engine naturally tightening up when hot.

And when a similar question was asked on a Car phone-in show (Car Talk in the USA), the hosts suggested the problem was with the starting motor overheating, thereby increasing the resistance in the windings.

Well I had tried Number 1, my battery was OK and there was nothing I could about 3 or 4. But I did like the overheat idea. The starter motor on the Superspec is on the top of the engine, hidden under the firewall with absolutely no air flow over it so I could see the logic. So as an experiment I added a tube to the top of the engine, bending down at the back so the starter received a constant ram-air flow over it.

starter_zpsamgsnvzr.jpg

Well, I have just done a 2hr+ drive and with the engine nicely warmed up I tried 4 hot starts and on each occasion she cranked over at full speed.

So no guarantees of course but I am quietly confident that I have solved that problem now. If only I could sort out the cooling.... :)

• Like 2

Guest mower man

Starters o/heating can be a pain but that is a good cure ! they can also act as a heat sink various Lemans car have suffered with it usual quik cue was a buket of water or a co2 extingwisher mick :crazy:

Guest 2b cruising

Yanks have always been wasters.

Would have been more efficient use if it was old speckled hen, or Guinness. Just to cool a little and not refrigerate mind.

Good beer you want to taste, but I suppose something like Bud needs killing first.

Hi Alan,

always a pleasure to read you notes !

My Superspec has a Ford Sierra DOHC Sapphire engine fitted which has its original Webber carburettor fitted. I also have a similar unit in the garage that is the Fuel injected DOHC that we are considering rebuilding or taking to pieces to see what condition the internals are in.

Will keep you posted but "Don't hold your breath" we do not move that quickly, had considered a New Zetec but understand it will be fairly costly. Being a Pensioner one has to WATCH THE PENNIES, yes we know it is very SAD.

Kindest regards

Steve

:drinks: :drinks: :lazy: