Bike Carbs

jaimo

Guest mower man

Agree with Steve. And don't fit the hot cam. Why? When you go to run in a new cam it is essential to get it running at 2000rpm from first start. This is to work harden the cam surfaces. A period of turning over at cranking revs while you get a reluctant new engine to fire up or 1000rpm because the engine won't rev can kill a cam and followers. Don't do it. Assemble 'as is' with the trusty old webber and get it running beautifully. Then remove old cam and fit and run in new cam with all the proper checks to make sure there is no piston valve contact or coil binding.(Remember to make a bulkhead hole to allow the cam to be removed backwards. Mowerman or Florins tip?) Once that's properly done you can go on to fit the bike carbs. You have much mechanical experience you will see the sense in this. We all have ideas to build a brilliant engine but mistakes are expensive in time and cash.

Nigel

Hi Nigel I go with the majority of your post re cams and tuning but the reason I used a Newman cam was that the 2k running in bit is not used as their cans use chilled cast blanks also it is not a hot cam but classed as hi torque and ideal with a 38 dgas the proof was in the results ,with a well [pro job ] ported head ,std rh 4/2/1 and dgas ,144bhp oodles of torque upto 30 mpg ,no fuel reg etc basically a straight forward lump ,I rest my case mick :clapping:

Guest PintoPowered

ive bought the zx6r carbs and manifold from danst fitted to a pinto 205 block massive difference over the twin choke weber very happy with performance :) happy bunny

I have found that with the manifold I got there's new fuel pipe connections and spacers as got to space further apart from standard prop manifold was used on different spaced carbs and he modded carbs for the manifold so got to some how make the throttle linkages to bridge the gap between then life's never easy can anyone brase

Also gonna have to somehow extend modify the choke linkage why Is life never easy if I could alloy weld I would modify by cutting the tubes about halfway and turn to resolve the manifold and not the carbs

Time to talk to steamer or anyone else want to step forward to either help with manifold or carb respacing advice as I know rich is a busy man

Or should I just stick Weber back on as I love my plenum lol

Edited by jaimo

Guest 2b cruising

Webber twin dondraught are supposedly good up to 170 bhp with correct jetting and intake/exhaust systems.

Don't look as cool but do the job and will get you back on the road quicker and cheaper.

Its weber 32/36 but the bike carbs are calling the manifold was very cheap and very gud so work spacing carbs or modifying manifold its just didnt realise needed to do this thought it wud be straight on

Guest mower man

Have you built the engine yet! if not stop worrying about carbs ,manifolds etc get the job moving ! or shall I come round with the baseball bat whoops can't do that don't know were you live !!! :sorry: :diablo: :crazy: :acute: mick