Sliding Pillar Upgrade Instructions

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

The 2b Chassis dimensions are famous for their rubbish tolerances. As such, the semi-circular cut outs on the brackets which straddle the chassis-tube may not be in exactly the right places depending on how accurate your chassis is.....use the bracket cut-outs as a guide for the bracket positions, but don't be worried if the cut-outs don't line up with your chassis tubes exactly.

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

That's perfect Thanks Steamer.

It looks liek it all goes together as I thought so that's a boost.

1 probably very very stupid question... I've got 4 suspension bushes in the kit. Where do these fit?

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

I'm not 100% sure how much I've got to be honest just seen a set of 4 on the GBS website. Struggling to think where they should be fitted. I'll have a look through the massive bag of fittings I got with it and see what I can find out

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_7&product_id=630

Do they fit between the wishbone and the brackets ( i.e one either side of the wishbone mounting hole and then slot into the brackets with a steel tube and bolt through)? if so would i not need 8 per side?

Edited by Jonathan.Ritchie

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_7&product_id=630

Do they fit between the wishbone and the brackets ( i.e one either side of the wishbone mounting hole and then slot into the brackets with a steel tube and bolt through)? if so would i not need 8 per side?

Spot on........

Guest 2b cruising

Four for each front set. 8 needed for front conversion.

Not sure but might need tubes for centre holes.

Some do some don't but the help smoother operation.

Also better with washers between bush and bracket.

Also consider caster angle before welding on top brackets.

Edited by 2b cruising

i cut the bushes out as they were rubbish hard plastic imo and the centre metal tubes were mild steel so asking for rust and seize issues.

just had some custom ones made in poly with stainless inserts. bolted them up this very weekend gone.

also you need 8 complete bushes or 16 halves for the full kit too

Edited by maccavvy

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Yeah I had a look last night and there are 16 halves. Grinded to a halt last night when I snapped the bolt on the hub where the old pillar originally went through so it'll be a quick trip to my mates work engineering firm tonight to get it removed.. it's stuck solid :(

Guest Jonathan.Ritchie

Just been looking at the pictures and going from memory of what the hubs look like that I have it looks like the bottom ball joint where the hub connects to the wishbone might have been removed?? would this be corret? I haven't got any pictures of the hub at work just now so just going off memory...

Guess finding a new set of hubs it is then... anyone got any pointers of where to get a decent cheap set?

i cut the bushes out as they were rubbish hard plastic imo and the centre metal tubes were mild steel so asking for rust and seize issues.

just had some custom ones made in poly with stainless inserts. bolted them up this very weekend gone.

also you need 8 complete bushes or 16 halves for the full kit too

the plastic, nylon, bushes are stiffer than poly, hold the suspension better, but poly are better for ride and sound transmission, suppose its a trade off, comfort or performance.

did you use stainless bolts as well?