Downforce Required

Guest Turboz

Hi there having just heared about the guy with the nissan turbo engine flipping his zero at cadwell going 140mph+ i guess due to excessive speed as the front end lifted on the straight. I was worried the i could have the same problem. Has anyone made any good looking atempts at downforce on a zero, splitter or wing ?

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Turboz. Where did the info come from?

Had mine at 120+ many times. No way would I like to go any faster than that.

I know the Zero are a lot more pro built but the robin! Never mind a laser, I don't even think they used a tape measure half the time.

i think the motto back in the day was " if it looks right, it's close enough.

Guest mower man

Having driven Cadwell this frightens the crap out of me , I will take a guess that the car was fitted with an enormous REAR wing and it got similar to the Mercs at Le Mans a few years ago ,seven type cars are about as aerodynamic as a brick ,sticking a fing big t tray on the back is lunacy , I 'll shut up now or many more bad words may come out :aggressive: :acute: mick

Edited by mower man

I'd be more worried about my body panels coming off or my windscreen flopping at that speed.....however I may need to consider the aero effects of my car after the engine swap...

Saying that, the Caterham 620R quotes a top speed of 155mph limited I believe. It would be good to see any aero work done on that and what happens near the top speeds...

Can't find any mention of this on the internet anywhere, which seems odd in these days of everybody having a smartphone or video camera and posting just about every little thing that happens on youtube.

Mind you, the story of the day I fell off my Raleigh Grifter and grazed my knee while doing 150mph down the prom at Blackpool, one handed, eating a candy floss and wearing a kiss me quick hat never got onto the internet until just now!

• Like 1

I heared ths from the large chap at javelin trackdays it was on the back straight after the dip just before the braking zone. The car was totaled he was was taken to hospital and escaped with just a broken arm and lots of cuts and bruises. I'm sure gbs will know more I'm heading there tomorrow anyway.

Guest mower man

Probably the fastest part of Cadwell ,back inthe day I saw 6500 rpm in a fornula ford on the highest gearing we had around 145 mph , that straight aint very long !! mick