Steering Column Adjustment

WallerZ

Morning all!

I trial fitted my V6 engine last night, and success! However I have a feeling the steering column is going to have issues when the manifold is fitted and therefore one or the other will require some...adjustment. As I don't weld successfully yet, cutting and shutting the manifold is a little bit out the question unless all else fails.

I was wondering (possibly more specific to the V8 guys) how did you get around the issue? Is there any way to adjust the steering column to drop it or help move it and allow for more space?

• Like 1

You may need an extra shaft and joints in the column to get it more to the side of the engine bay, but it'll need additional support.

Having added an additional shaft to my column (oo eer missus), I'd suggest you look to modifying the manifold first as this may be easier (and probably cheaper) and only change the steering if you really have to.

Adding the extra shaft, joints and support bearings has cost me close to £200.

When I did my V8 conversion, I opted for a complete new exhaust system and worked the headers around the steering column.

The Tiger Avon Supercharger I did had an extra UJ in the middle of the steering column to allow it to bend around the charger. The steering shaft had an extra bearing (rose joint) fixed to the chassis supporting the shaft near the middle UJ.

Guest 2b cruising

Don't forget to time or synchronise any extra uj's you might rite.

You can end up with a lumpy feel to your steering.

If it's just a tubular manifold and not a cast one, a decent metal worker would have no trouble reshaping some of it.

You could even get a different manifold that comes over the side panels.

I've got a spare one of those but only for a crossflow.

Guest mower man

Just remember Zach, it doesnt matter how much you bash them to make them fit, they dont lose any power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Mauling a manifold like that can create hot spots and a certain a mount of constriction to flow on odd cylinders leading to probs !! my op only but do it properly with custom made headers as Steamer has on his car ,it is costly but saves pain later mick :acute: