Exhaust Header Blowing

Gusty

Hi,

As per the title slight blow from the headers. I've fitted qualityVictor Reinz gaskets but slight blow.

I have some Loctite copper silicone , good for up to 350 deg. Will this be ok? Also do I apply to both sides of gasket? Do I leave it to set before running?

Cheers

Is the mounting tight?

When I fitted my original Exhaust manifold it blew between the head and the manifold face.

A bit of head scratching and I realised that the new fabricated manifold was thinner than the cast iron original and the nuts were bottoming out on the studs just before everything was tight.

Some washers under the nuts sorted this.

Guest mcramsay

The manifold tends to bow like a banana when it's welded (I am assuming custom 4 branch and not a cast manifold) I had similar on my zetec manifold. I used a straight edge to and a file to get it back to being close to flat. And did not have any further issues. Of course machining is the proper way to do it but not always practical.

Guest mcramsay

No angle grinders! Honestly you will make it worse! use a straight edge to identify the high points and then file away until it's flat. Honestly I could not advise more against using an angle grinder, the manifold will end up looking like the Scottish highlands

Guest mcramsay

Two gaskets or one the manifold will still not be flat, so you will just be moving the problem further back, the manifold will only go on as far as hitting the high points. So you will end up with less compression on the joint face where the manifold is bowed, and then a leak path between the two gaskets. A gasket on top of a gasket is also a No no. The only way you could make the above suggestion to work is to use a single gasket but thicker and of a more compressible material, this would allow the higher points on the manifold to sink in as tightened and allow the non sealing surface to come closer and compress the gasket.

I might be being a bit too over dramatic for a exhaust manifold on a kit car but hey ho!

• 2 weeks later...