Cbs Gauges

danielbrookes

Evening,

I've been looking at these from CBS as they are considerably cheaper than anything I can find and I like the look of them (http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/black-faced-instrument-set)

A couple of questions from me, am I missing something in quality or what's included? The smiths gauges from Kitspares are three times the price.

I have the easyfit loom from kitspares, from my research I can either buy the smiths gauge set + subloom from kitspares (expensive). Then make my own sub loom but the connector isn't available to buy, I would have cut the wires and put a new connector on and invalidate my warranty for easyfit loom. What would you guys do?

I am leaning towards CBS loom, cutting GBS and using new connectors, but I have a niggle with the warranty voiding and "bench tested" loom I have. Having said that, two if the wires to the connectors on the loom fell out in my hand last weekend...

Thanks,

Danny

I would check your research, the plugs or plugs + fly leads are available.

looking at the gauges on your link, they have all the senders, and a time clock, would need to try fuel sender in tank but it should be be made to fit, they are bigger gauges than the Kit Spares ones, but I have no idea of their quality, prehaps others have tried them.

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

All ok except speedo.

How do you know what speed you are at when you are over the 140 mph.

😂😂😂

Edited by 2b cruising

Thanks, the quality is something I am worried about as they are so much cheaper. Would be interesting if other people have tried them.

Interesting you say the leads/plugs are available, I would much prefer to go down that route rather than cut into my easyfit loom. Perhaps I should call gbs, or do the fly leads normally come with the instruments?

I have the easyfit loom from kitspares, from my research I can either buy the smiths gauge set + subloom from kitspares (expensive). Then make my own sub loom but the connector isn't available to buy, I would have cut the wires and put a new connector on and invalidate my warranty for easyfit loom.

I had the same dilemma. I've bought the gauges from GBS and they do sell the plugs and flying leads for the 2 main plugs on their main loom. They aren't on their website so you'll need to call and ask for them. They charged me £50 or so for both flying leads and plugs.

I haven't seen the CBS instruments but being half the price suggests they may be dubious quality.

And are exceeding good as a well known baker has often commented -- We purchased a set over 5 years ago because I wanted 270degree sweep for all the Gauges where-as most are 270 for speedo & tachometer but 90 degree for all the smaller clocks.

Had a few problems with installation which couldn't be rectified by GBS so went direct to Caerbont who were very helpful even sending missing diodes & connectors FOC.

All have run with-out problems since.