Battery....cranking Speed

DoctorDee

Apologies for the delay in replying.....been a busy week at the place wot helps pay for my little hobby which usually means long hours.....Got my hands on a 550 CCA battery, almost new, lying around in my sons garage. Children can be useful sometimes.....borrowed on the basis that if it was OK then I bought it.

First problem....bigger...second problem....polarity opposite way around....

Out with the grinder.....butchered the battery tray cover....room to insert battery and change terminals over.....had to fabricate a bracket to hold the pressure bottle for the cooling system....

Crossed fingers...turned the ignition key.....engine cranked like a looney and fired....

Only half a tale of course.....

Out with the amp clamp.....clipped it on the positive lead just this side of the battery set to 20 amp....dial showed 0.01 with nothing turned on....

So I have a parasitic drain but is that reading significant???....

Amp clamp may not be accurate -- disconnect one side of battery & connect a very low wattage tungsten lamp in the gap ( in series) any glow will prove leakage 'cause what you are showing on meter is only 0.12 watt.

Or have a intelligent charger connected when car is idle.

Edited by florin metal works

Plus 1 for nicko. I had a similar issue where my battery voltage was fine, as were all of my earths. I had slow cranking or non-existent starter action on my pinto. I suspected the battery but ended up replacing the starter motor. It all works perfectly now.

Decided to change my name from Dr Dee to Mr Numpty..Clicked the immoboliser off yesterday....busy day today...got home did I or didn't I.........Pulled the cover turned on the leccie......cockpit lights up like a Christmas tree....Whoa...

Fitted with a motorcycle combined speedo/tacho/ fuel gauge/ gear indicator.....turned it off rapid like

Thanks for the help.... Daresay i'll come up with some other stuff with which I'll need assistance