Purchased Unfinished Exmo Project Newbie Help

Guest Willsy14

Guest Willsy14

Hi , im looking for help. I'm new to the kit car community and have been looking to get a robin for a while now. I purchased an unfinished project that visually needs little doing to complete. I have recently come over a few issue that I'm unsure of. The only documents I have is the Robin build manual , and donor v5 document. There is no chassis number visual and as the build has been passed on a few times I'm unsure what requirements still need meeting for the IVA test. Can I still iva with no receipts or original build pics.

Your help would be great Ullapool

Thanks , scott. W midlands

The two things you want to do first are 1.Join the club- there is a mine of information on the forums and from our members most of whom have been there and done it. 2. get a copy of the IVA manual and read it, you will learn what the IVA test is all about.

The Exmo can be put through the test but requires strengthening it various places among other things. I run an Exmo but it was built before any of these tests were in force-stick with it it will be worth it.

If you haven't got receipts then you will end up with a Q reg but that doesn't make much difference. Don't be afraid to ask anything thats why we are here. Alan

• Like 2

Come along to one of the club nights for the West Mids and have a chat with people - I used to have an Exmo. Lots of members will be able to give you plenty of advice. Where abouts in the mids are you (roughly)? We meet not far from the NEC, on the Cov road, every month...

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=45360

• Like 1

Build photos is an issue as it makes proving amateur build diffificult, but not impossible. I put an S7 through IVA which is similar to your exmo in terms of mods needed for IVA. I'm in birmingham and would be happy to meet up and have a chat.

Hi Sott

Welcome aboard. Best move you could have done joining the forum. Join the club for a few quid will pay you back over and over again.. a mass of knowledge and help awaits.

You can down load the IVA Manual here

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-approval-manuals

Also pretty sure you will also need to have a VIN number stamped into Chassis now. You can choose your own VIN number as long as its exclusive 17 digits any combo

Also will need a VIN plate attached (all described) in the manual.

Good luck

Welcome Scott,

Lots of advice and wisdom on the forum don't be afraid to ask questions and join a Midlands meeting. Once you have read the IVA manual make a list and tick off each item, it's the little things that takes time. Also worthwhile having a test drive in another car because sooner or later you will be frustrated or fed up with the build, we have all been there two steps forward and one step back.

All the best.

Mark

Chassis number is no problem, you can get one assigned you from the DVLA (or make one up, whatever is your preference).

No history of the build I assume means no receipts or evidence of the donor car/parts used, which just means you'll get a Q plate, that's all.

As for IVA, the Exmo in original form has various aspects that will fail an IVA if left unaltered - swept arches for example, indicator positions, various sharp edges - but they are all surmountable don't worry. Read the IVA manual and check against the rules in there one by one. Read through with a marker pen and mark/highlight the bits you know you'll need to do something about. There's no way around it, it just takes a day of sitting down and going over the sections/rules, many of which won't apply to your vehicle - so don't worry that it looks daunting to start with, you don't have to meet every single page of requirements :)

Guest Willsy14

Thanks guys for all your feedback , it's made me feel more comfortable about the car going forward. Looking through all the IVA and register processes has me a little worried

Guest Willsy14

Build photos is an issue as it makes proving amateur build diffificult, but not impossible. I put an S7 through IVA which is similar to your exmo in terms of mods needed for IVA. I'm in birmingham and would be happy to meet up and have a chat.

Guest Willsy14

Hi mate, thanks for the feedback. I'm in cradley heath , just outside halesowen .is there a way of putting a pic on here for an idea of how far the kit car has been built?

I used to live in Cradley Heath :) I'm only in Northfield so not far from you at all. Best way to put photos on is to use photobucket and copy and paste the code it gives you.

Dont let IVA etc scare you off, if I can manage to get one through IVA, anyone can!

• Like 2

Guest Willsy14

I used to live in Cradley Heath :) I'm only in Northfield so not far from you at all. Best way to put photos on is to use photobucket and copy and paste the code it gives you.

Dont let IVA etc scare you off, if I can manage to get one through IVA, anyone can!