Mazda Zero V6 Is Alive! For Real Now!

WallerZ

So as many of you saw or heard, I made my way to Stoneleigh in the Zero with mt newly fitted Mazda KL 2.5L V6. Unfortunately, as common with the project, I hit many issues....basically resulted in a tow into Stoneleigh and the AA home.

Conclusion, firing order and potential compression issues. I spent the weekend on 3 cylinders and found 2 to have suspected piston ring issues and the 3rd potentially a valvetrain issue. However the main killer was the firing order.

Anyway, during the remaining time off work and odd weekend, the engine was dropped - thanks to Gaz and Stu, my spare (and probably better engine) fitted. The firing order was thought through and figured out by Jez (my electrical Guardian Angel) and this weekend I gave it a go.....but this project wouldn't be without its problems! An engine that ran, sat for 2-3 years and basically had nothing but a new flywheel/clutch and throttle bodies put on, the timing was horrendously out!

Once i finished roasting Marshmallows on the backfire through my throttle bodies and sorted the timing (something I've never done - always learning!) this happened....

And then to prove I made it home...

All in all it runs! Just a fuel flow issue to sort out (blaming blocked filter) and some tuning to be done and I'm finally ready for some summer blasting! :D

Big thanks to all that have helped with this project so far!

• Like 2

Jeesus - is there any silencer on that?! I would be SO unpopular in my road if I started that up... :unsure: :)

Bloody lovely noise, mate...(from someone who DOESN'T live in your road)...

Is that the V6 from the Mazda MX6? I had an MX6 years ago - didn't sound anything like that...(wish it had though)...

Edited by nelmo

Jeesus - is there any silencer on that?! I would be SO unpopular in my road if I started that up... :unsure: :)

Bloody lovely noise, mate...(from someone who DOESN'T live in your road)...

Is that the V6 from the Mazda MX6? I had an MX6 years ago - didn't sound anything like that...(wish it had though)...

I have 2 bike cans, they were cheaper than a new GBS silencer (although give it time and I may change my mind lol)

It is yes. The exhaust note on the MX6 was nice but was very quiet still. I love it because deep down I'm a hooligan lol

Return video is the best- hearing it coming...

Your neighbours must love you :) !

I think I cut the first bit off, girlfriend thought I was already coming back but in fact I'd just put my foot down (only halfway - I'm not brave enough yet) 100 metres behind those houses lol, I think I may have upset the neighbourhood so only did the one lap lol.

Just got to sort why cylinder 1 isn't firing now (however think that was a massive airleak with the throttle body not sitting truly flat) and also find out if my fuel filter is blocked or my low pressure pump is on the way out and unable to keep up with the swirl pot usage. Oh and sort the tracking out. Only a teething problems left lol. It was enough to give me the thrill again and up the motivation 10-fold :D

I can vouch for it being astronomically loud :) despite spending a couple of days helping out, it still made me jump every time it started up and backfired! Like you say, I don't think Zach is the most popular chap in his road any more :rofl:

• Like 1

I can vouch for it being astronomically loud :) despite spending a couple of days helping out, it still made me jump every time it started up and backfired! Like you say, I don't think Zach is the most popular chap in his road any more :rofl:

And that was only half the engine at 1500rpm! :p

• Like 1

Yeah the plan was to see how this went as about 75 quid for the pair it was worth a punt as I wanted it louder. I was then going to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand GBS silencer to match my current one and swap for track days or when I get told off for being too noisy :p

I'm a long way off my 3rd option which would require my fabrication skills to be upped big time lol