Adjustable Cam Pulley For Pinto

Guest lmorley

Guest lmorley

What is everyones option on fitting an adjustable cam pulley to a pinto engine? Just trying to decide if it is worth buying before I take it get to set up properly on a rolling road.

Have you had any head work done, especially had the head skimmed to raise compression ratio? This would make a vernier pulley essential. If you haven't had it skimmed then not essential but there may be a slight gain with a vernier on the rolling road.

Aftermarket cams on the pinto are very dependant on machining of the woodruff key slot and there can be a bit of inaccuracy there.

All in all I would 100% go for a vernier.

Nigel

Guest lmorley

Yeah I have a Kent cam.

So by the sounds of it, it would be worth me spending the money to get myself an adjustable vernier to get it set up correctly.

Does it make much difference getting your head skimmed to raise the compression then?

Does it cost much to do as well?

Yeah I have a Kent cam.

So by the sounds of it, it would be worth me spending the money to get myself an adjustable vernier to get it set up correctly.

Does it make much difference getting your head skimmed to raise the compression then?

Does it cost much to do as well?

The Pinto loves compression and depending on your cam choice the cam will not deliver its full power unless more compression is built in.

It's very cam dependant, the high lift low duration cams such as FR30 & FR34 don't need much of an increase, FR32 benefits from more and the RL and RC series need lots.

You can gain 0.5 by fitting a Rhienz head gasket with a 1.3mm crush thickness

Cometic and Athena do a 1mm gasket, expensive

Burton do an Adjusa 94.5 mm bore 1mm thick £45

Head skim is not expensive and you should calculate for about 10 to 1 with a standard gasket this gives you some latitude to change compression ratio with just a gasket

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest lmorley

Well I bought my kit car off someone else and I ended up buying a Kent FR32 but before I fitted it I measured the lobs and the cam I already had actually had bigger lobs so I sent the FR32 cam back.

So you think if I fitted a new head gasket that was 1.3mm thick that will help benefit my engine then?

1.3mm Rhienz gasket adds about 0.5 compression ratio, on its own it's a minor increase.

I wouldn't pull the head off just to get a little extra compression.

If you have an injection head I would skim for about 10 to 1 and use the gasket to trim the compression to match your camshaft.

No 1 thing will make a big difference but a lot of little things will, you must however plan what you intend to do as a whole.

I have a lot of Pinto parts, most of the big valve ported heads were done a long while ago and have to much skimmed off the head, meaning I struggle to get a low enough compression ratio for a street car on unleaded fuel and cast pistons.

You need to measure the chamber volume and how far down the bore the Pistons are at TDC, then you can skim the head or block and use a head gasket thickness to match the requirements of the engine and camshaft combination.

A little discussed fact is that a single twin choke carb will not expose the engine to as much detonation (pinking) than multi choke carbs such as bike carbs and Weber 45's

You see it's all linked