Time For Me To Learn From You

Snapperpaul

As you know I have a fair understanding of Pinto's

However the Fury is going to have its asmatic 1660 Crossflow swapped out for a Zetec.

I have looked with envy at the Supercharged Zetec on here, nearly bought a Blacktop but now looking for a Zetec from an ST170 to start with.

So what do you do to a Zetec to get more power?

What are the weak areas?

How are the cheap gains found?

I need to get s much better understanding of the Zetec please.

Zetecs are the same as any other petrol engine. Easy way is forced induction. Hard and equally or more expensive is increasing the efficiency of the engine. Raised CR, bigger/flowed ports, bigger valves, more aggressive cams. I'm not aware of any specific weaknesses in the zetec.

I am aware of the general disappointment many people have with the ST170. Compared to the blacktop. Bigger inlets and inlet ports. Stronger bottom end. All the flash with the VVT. Slightly higher CR. Same size exhaust ports and valves as the blacktop and somehow it's hit and miss to wring much more power out of it..

My best at Barkstone was with a crate blacktop. Never matched it with the ST despite all the work I have done. I think you have to open your wallet and buy better cams for the ST to match the blacktop but my cars too fast for me now as I get slower to continue the quest for power.

I would go Duratec these days if I was after max N/A power. Then blacktop for easy to do build and cheaper. Then pinto for sheer excitement in driving. The ST just doesn't work right unless you're lucky.

Nigel

• Like 1

Guest lotusPaul

A simple solution would be,

Crate blacktop.

Supercharger from Richard.

Reliable and you know your getting 200 plus ponies and twist.

There are differences between Silvertops and blacktops, and blacks and st170s. Mostly conrods being the week point due to the construction but ARP bolts and limiting revs is the preventative measure.

All 3 heads flow well out the box too with the blacks having bigger valves than silvers, and STs had waisted versions.

Flywheels get heavy on 2.0s so most inc me swap to the 1800 lighter ones.

The electronic package is down to your local tuner and thier preference, some like emerald some omex etc, look around and ask the question.

If you stay NA 40s are good for torque spread but 45s will unleash ultimate high end ponies. Just get the ones with the 5 progression holes. Again EFI follows suit on the 40s/45s front.

Fuel system will have to be upgraded with any of the above options.

Be aware that all zetecs are designed to run hotter oil than other engines,and must always use best oil you can afford in the correct specs. Big wing sumps cause oil to run cooler and is not a great idea.

All NA work better with uprated cams but standard cams are fine if you force induction them.

Thats not the exhaustive list ( no pun) but im sure you get the idea.

From my own experiences, Blacktops and ST170 are much easier to fit superchargers to than the silvertops.

To be honest, I don't relish the thought of doing another silvertop charger because the brackets are a right PIA to make and also align with the pulleys.

I've only ever had a passenger ride once in one of my supercharger projects - the acceleration was break-neck brutal and noise was out of this world.

• Like 1

I've been in a pursuit of power for yrs in fact a drive home from a meet in my 2b pinto when a zero and mk Indy absolutely destroyed me. Set me off 1st was the the v8 ok but not great, then the bike engine quick but no torque and hard work to drive the the zetec which has always been better than all the previous engines but now with charger it's utter mental, so much fun and quicker than u could ever want on the rd. Blacktop / st and red7 and you Will have an awesome combo

Think I would have to agree with nigel I have the St170 on megasquirt and I seriously leaking power it was much more fun and loads more power on bike carbs and the mtech vvt controller it was awesome but now it's a damp squid so I have a blacktop which I may fit if the St170 doesn't start giving me some power

Some interesting points a good info building my knowledge.

The current Crossflow is so much slower than my Pinto S3a and I dont want to put a Pinto in even though I have one waiting.

I have a Duratec in my Fiesta ST which I could pull out but I'm minded to keep the induction and exhaust in the Fury the same way round it currently is.

I'm erring towards the Blacktop ST version as it has the strongest rods and solid lifters.

I'm not made of money but am prepared to spend what it needs spreading the costs over time.

Just about finished conversion from crossflow to ST170, relatively straight forward. Check my build in signature block below. Running on twin 40's was much better than crossflow but I could not get enough fuel/air to feed the engine so upgraded to 45's because I like the sound and look. Hopefully it will be running soon. Welcome to have a look anytime.