Oil pressure or temperature sensor in pinto

Davo

I can see in my 2 ltr pinto there is a sensor unconnected on the carb side toward the right (furthest from crank pulley). Is this an oil temperature or pressure sensor or something completely different? Couldn’t find it in the Haynes manual. 

F50C8832-E86A-43E6-B10A-21EDE93C1D11.jpeg

The one to the left with the treaded end is the oil pressure sensor and the bit that it looks like the finger is pointing at is the pcv valve I think from memory. 

Edited by magh
Spelling

Here's a better picture the correct way round.

Too the right of the oil filter is the PCV Valve above that is the manifold water temp sensor.

Too the right of the engine mounting is the oil pressure switch.

Hope that helps you.

You will find the water temp gauge sensor above the distributor area in the picture.

post-3217-1232281685.jpg

Edited by maca
text added

Thank you. I’ve had my water temp connected up for some time, and like you say, on mine it’s above the dizzy.  

So just to be sure, is it an oil pressure switch or gauge to the right? As in, should I wire a warning light or gauge to it? 

25 minutes ago, Davo said:

So just to be sure, is it an oil pressure switch or gauge to the right? As in, should I wire a warning light or gauge to it? 

Hi to answer your question the oil pressure switch is shown, and would be wired to the dash warning light marked oil. that lights when you have NO OIL Pressure, when you switch on the ignition and should go out when the engine is started.

If you want to fit an oil pressure gauge then you need a Tee piece for the pipe or sender unit to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any reason if I replaced the oil sensor switch with a pressure sensor and used a gauge that I would need the warning light? Surely if the guage was measuring 0 that would be the same as a warning light? 

No reason why not. However you could argue that a light coming on might be more noticeable than the needle dropping on the gauge even if by the time the light had come on, the damage is already done. 

As above the light would be more noticeable that been said I don’t have one, I just have the pressure gauge which I prefer as if it starts dropping or I noticed it has dropped off from its normal running position I know there is a fault starting therefore could possibly catch it before I loose all oil pressure as that’s then the light would illuminate. I do tend to regularly keep an eye on it along with my water temp next to it. 

I second that.  I have both the light and a gauge.  A few months back I holed my sump and the first indicator that something was wrong was the gauge flickering and then dropping.  I tried to make it home, but I didn’t see the light come on until it was almost too late and if that had been the only warning I suspect I would have trashed the engine.  I actually pulled across about 50yds after the light started flickering and by that time I had less than a cup full of oil left.

Ha some good advice. As it happens I don’t have either at the moment. 

there is currently a sensor in the block hole at the moment but not connected to anything but I’m presuming this is a switch. There’s a guage I like the look of at the moment but it comes with a 1/8 sensor. I’m assuming I can get an adapter to change the pinto 1/4 hole to an 1/8 and plug it straight in? Or I can get a t piece and have both? 

Thanks for all the tips. Bought an extension piece that allowed me to add an 1/8 inch pressure sensor and keep the existing switch. the switch isn’t currently used