Headlight Stalk Positions

phaeton

Got an issue with the headlights & just want to check out the logic first before tackling it, currently if you are sat in the driver's seat, with the headlight switch on the right on, then on the left stalk the furthest away position is dip beam, in the middle position it is full beam & when you pull it towards you it's a non latching flash of the full beam if the lights aren't switched on. This doesn't seem logical to me, I was expecting furthest away position being full beam, in the middle being dip beam & pulling towards you full beam flash. But it's 25 years+ since I had a Ford

Depends what switch you have maybe.

On mine with ignition switched on you switch head lights on then the left lever controls as:-

Away from you Main Beam, Centre position Dip Beam & Pull towards you Flash Main Beam.

Without ignition switched on only side lights.

2 hours ago, dandan62 said:

On mine which is Sierra based furthest away is full beam. Maybe yours needs a wire swap somewhere? 

51 minutes ago, maca said:

Depends what switch you have maybe.

On mine with ignition switched on you switch head lights on then the left lever controls as:-

Away from you Main Beam, Centre position Dip Beam & Pull towards you Flash Main Beam.

Without ignition switched on only side lights.

Yes that is how I'm expecting it, something is not wired quite right, also when I then switch the lights off (right hand switch) but with the ignition still on the lights stay on until you switch off the ignition, which again either wrong wiring or a sticking relay, now to find the little blighter

Been playing with this for a while now, thought I had sorted it but it's still not 100%, there is a tin box with 3 relays in, 1 marked NC with the others marked NO, all the wires that come off them are green (lol) & seem to go to the back of the foglight switch. But what is happening now after rewiring the headlights, switch headlights on with ignition on, furthest away is full beam, middle is dip & pulling towards is now flash. However if you leave them in full beam then switch them off on the right hand switch they stay on, pulling them onto dip they go out, back to full they stay off, so it's back feeding from somewhere. I did find a loose wire & there is a buzzer which isn't connected, so I presume it's all about Section 28 of the IVA manual. Has anyone seen anything like it before?

Note 4: Either of the following scenarios will also be considered acceptable: The rear fog lamp(s) may continue to operate until the position lamps are switched off, and the rear fog lamp(s) must then remain off until deliberately switched on again or, An audible warning, additional to the mandatory telltale light, must be activated if the ignition is switched off or the ignition key is withdrawn and the driver's door is opened, whether the lamps in (RS4) are on or off, whilst the rear fog lamp switch is in the "on" position.

It also has an electric fuel pump which is really annoying when you're trying to find an electrical issue as it's running all the time, so I went under the back of the car to see if I could disconnect it whilst I was fiddling, only to find a switch fitted I've since moved it from the back of the car to a place reachable from the driver's seat

IMG_20200817_164631.jpg

IMG_20200817_143440.jpg

The light main/dip switch should have two live feeds one for the main which  is wired live when ignition is on, and one for the flash which should be live when ignition is off. It sounds like one of the relays is taking its power from the "flash" circuit.

• Thanks 1