Jump to content

Mot before you can get a number plate?


Recommended Posts

I have passed the IVA test, and after reading the form for requesting the first number plate it appears to state I need to MOT the vehicle.  If so, how do you go about this as to get to the MOT station you need to drive to the station, and, therefore you will be driving without tax and insurance.

Any advice would be welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Neil says, MOT isn't required, despite the fact that the guidance notes indicate that you do. If you've passed IVA and got your MAC certificate they you're good to go.

Remainder of the process should be as shown here 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mostly agree with the above, when you get the V5C and registration number the car will have an official date of first registration. This will normally be around the date of your IVA pass, and I believe the first MOT is then due three years after that. However, you should not use the car on the road without insurance.  Anyone that needs to take a car for an MOT must have it insured, third party insurance allows you to drive TO a station for a definite timed appointment by the most direct route. My car is on SORN at the moment. It must be insured to take it for an MOT before I can tax it again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...