New member - Hello there :-)

Jthorneuk

Hi all and thanks for letting me join.

I picked up this kit part built about 10 years ago with very little info other than all the parts are meant to be there to finish it.

I believe it to be a 2b and since I have owned it I’ve installed brake lines and managed to get it to stop, put the fuel lies into a Jerry can and managed to get it to start and that’s about it.

My plan was to finish it and put it through a test. I guess my issue is getting some time to actually look at all the parts and work out how they fit, find some sort of instructions as to where they go and then get on with it.

I’ve read there maybe two versions of the 2b? One that is really hard to get the test on and one that’s easier, I’ve also read to expect to fail and then look at what needs to be fixed.

Had anybody any advice? What do I need to look for to correctly identify the car? I don’t want to make any mistakes on the build, so for instance I only cable tied to he brake lines as I bent them around the body, because I didn’t want to drill and mount them if it then meant I wasn’t meant to do that and then had a load of holes to deal with in the main structure.

So any pointers? Would love to finally get it on the road as I constantly look at others and think just buying one maybe a easier option.

F4E86E0B-44BC-4774-9557-2BBB9B85CC91.png

Looks like a 2B sliding pillar:

https://nw.rhocar.org/identification.htm

No 2B is any more difficult to get through IVA than another. Plenty of people have done in and some pass first time so although unlikely, it is possible. Commonest fail points are probably sharp edges, emissions and failure to interpret the regulations correctly.

Buying a registered car is the easiest option but then you don't have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Part built kits can be more difficult to register if you're not careful with the paperwork, you need to prove that you've done most of the work, ideally with receipts and photographic evidence.

Thanks, yea I’m worried about the paperwork and photos so almost wonder if it’s better to take it back apart first.

I’ve heard the videos are not very good. I’m thinking on here I’ll find some build manuals or posts from others helping me along the way.

from what I can tell it’s almost only the bodywork that needs to be finished given that it essentially starts and stops ok so basic function is fine. 

Loads of useful information already on the forum but any questions will be answered. 

From a photo perspective take some close ups and then ask a friend to take a picture of you with a spanner, under the car with greasing hands.

The only photos they checked from my submission was the seat belt mounts, fuel tank mounts and engine number.

Welcome to the club, I like your first post, where you say "letting me join"  ... did you have to take a test or something 🙂 I am not building the same car as you, however mine is very old with no build manual. At least I have all the parts because I bought the kit. I think that you have to be prepared to do some searching around the forums, so far I have found that most of my questions have been asked before, but obviously not all in the same place and at the same time. People will have stopped actively building your kit some time ago. At first I found the search function provided too many "hits". So if you try to search for "2b brake line" you get so many hits you could spenf hours going through them all. The secret is to refine the search using some of the filters, like change the default of "Any" of the terms to "All" of the terms, and remove forums like "For Sale" from the search. I did a bit of this for the topic of brake line routing and fastenings and found plenty of good advice and photos of installs that had passed IVA.

In answer to your question about having all the parts, judging by the photo you posted you have more than enough pepper pot alloys.

When I asked GBS about a manual or video, they said they didn't do one because it was just too difficult to make it useful to everyone; lots of different donors, engines, gearboxes, diff's, brakes etc, etc. To cover everything would need a 5 volume set!! 🙂

They also said there were enough videos online now to get a decent idea of what you need to do...all true, although I still would have liked a few generic pictures for the main stages. They ended up giving me a 2 page list of what order they did their builds in, which was helpful.