Better starting

LeicJim3a

One issue I have is if I leave it stood (2.0 pinto mechanical fuel pump) it takes ages to start loads of cranking some coughs splutters etc .. then finally fires and is good as gold ! I know this is due to fuel running back to the tank when stood. I have considered an electric pump but all research says mechanical is more than good enough don’t waste money ! So thinking about putting a way one check valve in fuel line ? Would this cute the issue and where would be best to fit near tank ? After pump or near Carb ? 

Are you sure the fuel is running back to tank ?    I always had an electric pump on Pinto in my 2B but I found that the heat from the engine tended to evaporate the fuel in the carbs when I parked it up and I had to wait for the pump to fill it before starting.  I also found that this would also "gum up" the carbs after a while. 

With the electric pump not only could I make sure the carbs were full before I tried to start it, but also, if the engine was good and hot when I put it in the garage I used to switch the pump off and leave the engine idling until it emptied the float chambers and stopped.  This meant there was little fuel left in there to evaporate and no more residue in the carbs.

Hope this helps,   Steve

Steve 

im reasonably confident it’s running back if I try and start after 2-3 hours it fired first turn only after leaving it a day or more if struggles to start until getting enough fuel to fire and keep running, plus in-line filter between pump and carb has little fuel in it after standing, I’m not against going to electric pump if I know it’s going to work 100% and the one way valve is a low cost option just not sure if it is a viable option. What elec pump would you recommend and regulator needed or not ? 

Sorry I should not have put in the second comment and apologise for it.

I also have the same problem and a new mechanical pump made no difference to the starting, it was still grind grind to fill the carb so I do not think that a non return valve will help.

I have had problems in the past with the reliability of aftermarket electric pumps so I have both. I use the electric to prime the system and the mechanical pump when running.

The electric pump has a simple push button mounted out of the way, I push it untill the noise from the pump changes and then start.

Ian apologies accepted and I apologies for over reacting in return, Thank you that is most helpful using an electric pump as a primer if I understand your description correctly? Sounds like a good solution can you guide me in appropriate elec pumps to look into ? 

I understood that the mechanical pump provides the 1 way valve. Obviously its not working. Have a look at rebuilding it (ifthats possible) or replacing it with another one. 
I have used CBS for many parts in the past. For a standard engine, the road version will provide ample flow and pressure. You may also need a regulator depending what carb you are running.
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/search?q=fuel+pump

Thanks Ian appreciate that, I will strip and double check the pump and add this as a primer, bolt and braces approach. The positive is I've gone from a car that wont run to running  rough and now I'm at the point of runs perfect just struggles to start so progress is looking good ! 

I had the same problem on my Series 3. I tried using a one way valve at the rear of the car but it made no difference. I went down the electric pump route using one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371974766532?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OUd2zYVDSHq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=-6dTF2wzQl2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I also fitted an inertia switch into the supply feed of the pump so that the pump will stop in an accident. 

I now turn on the ignition, wait a few second and the engine starts on the first crank.

Nigel.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

how have you got on with this @LeicJim3a I got back off holiday yesterday and went to start the car and it was doing as you describe, I have no inline filter by the looks of it, Fuel line comes into teh engine bay, to mechanical pump on the block then straight up to the carb..

Where would be a good place to install an inline fuel filter? Im wondering if its worth installing a priming pump like @IanS has done

Hi Graham well so far I am putting up with it ! I’ve bought a 12v pump and push switch just not got round to it yet, I have an in-line filter between pump and carb mainly so I can see how well/bad it’s drawing fuel. I don’t think it really matters where you filter but would 100% put one in 

Let me know how you get on with that Jim, Im gonna definitely gonna have a think about how to install one, Ill fit an inline filter 100% and I was thinking of installing a bowl filter like you get on a Landrover series then at least that way the bowl will hold an amount of fuel and maybe help with the starting process.

Edited by Tickover