New mark 3 suspension upgrade options?

rread97

So I understand there is very little information on the mark 3s and even less parts for them. 

I’ve only owned mine 3 months, does anyone have any information on potential front suspension upgrades? It’s the new mark 3 model with outboard coilovers! 

The coilovers are standard with red springs, I believe they came with the Robin kit originally? And the rears have been upgraded to gaz!

Edit - I’ve recently discovered about a tie bar conversion, is this easy to do? Would anyone be selling the parts needed to do this? 

any help is much appreciated 

Edited by rread97

3 hours ago, HAWKNORTH said:

I have a 3a with inboard coils. The standard/lit supplied springs are much to strong. I thing they are around 300lbs. I replaced than for 125lbs ones and the difference in ride comfort etc is amazing.

Where did you get the other springs from mate?

Saw your post on the FB group - loads of good people with great intentions, but often comment without any great knowledge of the cars (does not apply to everyone!)

There’s loads of info on the site about improvements that can be made to the earlier monocoque cars - start with a search for ‘series 3 suspension’, which should get you started.

9 hours ago, Shandylegs said:

Saw your post on the FB group - loads of good people with great intentions, but often comment without any great knowledge of the cars (does not apply to everyone!)

There’s loads of info on the site about improvements that can be made to the earlier monocoque cars - start with a search for ‘series 3 suspension’, which should get you started.

Perfect thanks mate, I’ll have a search through, tried to post some photos of mine but file size was too big!

I saw your fb posts and pics of your front suspension.  It's obviously not the usual lower suspension Sierra setup so can you confirm that the rearward arm is an anti roll bar( it goes all the way from one side to the other)? It looks thinner than the Sierra anti roll bar. I presume the usual tie bar mod would still work though. A rare model with the outboard coilovers.

Decent shocks (all round) with reduced spring rates, tie bar modification and a good set-up should see you most of the way there*

Plethora of info is there if you have a search and good read. As a starter have a look at older posts from Jim Stott, Longboarder, Mowerman etc.. they will give the specifics.

*Assuming you have decent tyres and running them at reasonable pressures

2 hours ago, Shandylegs said:

Decent shocks (all round) with reduced spring rates, tie bar modification and a good set-up should see you most of the way there*

Plethora of info is there if you have a search and good read. As a starter have a look at older posts from Jim Stott, Longboarder, Mowerman etc.. they will give the specifics.

*Assuming you have decent tyres and running them at reasonable pressures

Ok mate thanks, is there a way to work out what spring rate to go for? Or does everyone just go for 120ib ish? 

also any other makes other than gaz to look for?

The original (red) spring rates for the inboard suspension models 1, 2, 3a, were 170 Lbs/in and were too stiff so people changed them to around 120. One of the many things that RHE were inconsistant with were the spring colours, I bought 120s from them which should have been black but they were red too.

The geometry of your suspension with the more conventional? set up will be much greater than 120 Lbs/in. I have seen a Mk 2 car with external shockers like yours but whether there is an owner on this site with one and knowledge of the spring rates I wouldn't know.

Doing away with the roll bar and fitting tie bars makes a great improvement in the handling, Usually the roll bar is just bolted up from underneath but it almost looks as though yours is inside the monocoque? 

Where abouts are you, and it's well worth joining this club for information and advice as well as getting a reduction on your car insurance! 

• 3 weeks later...

Peter, You should remember that the 'New 111' had double unequal length wishbone front suspension, outboard shocks and springs, and no roll bar/tie bars. I ran 100 lb springs at the front. Rear coilovers mounted from the lower end of the roll hoop to the centre of the semi-trailing arm spring pan (not to the old sierra lower shock mount). At 120lb.

The steering rack needs to be shimmed upward (on mine over an inch) to get rid of bump steer. The mushrooms to which the outboard end of the upper wishbones attach need to be raised about an inch also, not bolted up at their lowest position. Watch rotation of the mushrooms. In the wrong orientation the ball joint can lock up.