Did my s3a have an IVA/SVA?

Tickover

Hi sorry if this has been asked before , couldn't find info in search.

Having bought my S3a last month I've got it ready for a MOT, it was 1st registered in June 1999 and so I'm wondering how the emissions work as the engine came from a 1987 Sierra. as I believe that as its post 1998 registration it will have to meet emissions at the time of the IVA? so I've been through the paperwork I have and found a receipt for the doner Sierra with registration number and this photocopy pic attached. is this the IVA cert?

Do I need to prove age of the engine for MOT Emissions? 

Cheers Graham

PXL_20230828_090511538.jpg

That looks like a copy of an SVA certificate to me.    Does your V5 have any figure for emissions ? - normally at the bottom of the front page, if so that's what it should be tested to. 

Does your car have an age related reg. number ? If it does and there's nothing on the V5 then I think it should go on the age of the engine (as fitted at SVA) which is 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC for a 1987 engine.  It gets even more fun with a Q plate

If you can find an MOT station that's used to dealing with older (pre-ECU) cars they should sort you out.

• Like 1

No it doesn't which I was surprised about as it was done June 1999..  I have an age related plate, E reg

I have spoken to one garage, neighbours sone works there as a mechanic, doesn't do MOTS, but he said hey be happy to MOT it and if I have any info on the doner to bring that along. I have a receipt for the Sierra the builder bought with the original reg so hopefully they will know what they are doing and fingers crossed I don't get the green straight out of school inspector . I did ask a few other places and they weren't interested as it takes too long to do for £45!

PXL_20230828_101402881.jpg

Yes that certificate is the SVA approval, same as for mine in January 2000. The SVA included an emission test, Limits were %CO by vol 3.5 and HC ppm 1200. The engine is/was as per the Sierra donor, twin choke downdraft carb (Weber DFTH 30/34) and no catalist. The actual tested values were 0.34 and 745 respectively, well within the limits. I have had several MOTs since, some have re-measured the emissions against these limits and earlier ones just didn't test, I don't know how they managed to do that and I didn't ask.

• Like 1

Takes too long ???  I have been to the same MOT garage for years with all my cars - he used to be able to do the 2B in about 15 minutes.  He always said it was so easy because everything was so accessible and easy to see.  In recent years we ended up standing around talking because he said it would be questioned if he completed it too soon on the computer !

• Like 1

Thats what they said! Something along the lines of we need to check the MOT manual for everything to double check if it should or shouldn't be like that.. it's their loss as I wanted to take my MR2 to them along withe the series 3 landrover once finished

51 minutes ago, Sparepart said:

Yes that certificate is the SVA approval, same as for mine in January 2000. The SVA included an emission test, Limits were %CO by vol 3.5 and HC ppm 1200. The engine is/was as per the Sierra donor, twin choke downdraft carb (Weber DFTH 30/34) and no catalist. The actual tested values were 0.34 and 745 respectively, well within the limits. I have had several MOTs since, some have re-measured the emissions against these limits and earlier ones just didn't test, I don't know how they managed to do that and I didn't ask.

if they take a blind eye to to something that's only a bonus to you, as long as its not dangerous

My 3a was first registered in 1998 and just missed the introduction of IVA. It also has the advantage of a Q plate which means the emissions are visual only. Its not a problem as all in good order with no visible smoke. It is rather nice to know that no one's going to stick a sniffer tube up your exhaust pipe. It usually takes my guy about 15mins to test with me in the car as he is a little on the plump side.

Ive never liked the idea of a Q plate until you say emissions are visual LOL , how come you got a Q plate?

2 hours ago, HAWKNORTH said:

My 3a was first registered in 1998 and just missed the introduction of IVA. It also has the advantage of a Q plate which means the emissions are visual only. Its not a problem as all in good order with no visible smoke. It is rather nice to know that no one's going to stick a sniffer tube up your exhaust pipe. It usually takes my guy about 15mins to test with me in the car as he is a little on the plump side.

I'm new to all this kit car stuff and loving it but its a big learning curve.

You don't have to do/prove anything. Take it to the MOT, they put the reg in and the machine tells them what the emissions should be.

As too taking too long, that's BS; they obviously don't want to do something that's going to have to make them think 😉. Go elsewhere...

Edited by nelmo
  • Like 1

On the subject of MOT stations refusing to test because it is too difficult I can assure you all that there is a list of  valid reasons a station can refuse to test a vehicle but being a bit tricky is defiantly not one of them ! If you present a vehicle to test and they refuse to test it they should complete a VT30 stating reason to refuse to test the vehicle. I see lots of comments with people trying to work out what the emissions rules are for their vehicle but ultimately it is the MOT Testers responsibility to test every vehicle correctly and to have the knowledge to carry this out. To put this in perspective if Mrs Jones turns up with her ford fiesta would the tester expect her to know the emission limits ? Just because we drive unusual cars does not make us responsible for reading the testers manual and understanding it, that is the job of a trained MOT tester. My advice book it in for MOT drop it off leave them to it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after all the worries.. Good news! my hood past it's MOT today with advisory for... just tyres! After standing for so long I didn't expect that..

The down side is it overheated extremely quickly, so need to address that asap before I can enjoy it (have ordered a water pump) also didn't seem as quick as I was expecting it to be 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1