17 replies to this topic

#1 James24785

James24785

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 18
  • 91 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

Ok so last part of my winter makeover is to fit my new sport style front wings. I've got a few tubes of sticky stuff, but how is best to actually fit?
Naturally, being a kitcar, they don't exactly just drop into place and sit nice first time. They need a bit of a push down in order to get them to sit nice, and not leave a massive "arch gap."
How have people held their wings in place whilst the adhesive sets?

Next thing is, I don't want any mechanical fixing if I can get away with it? I like a clean look, so I don't really want bolt heads on show. Am I likely to lose a wing at some point if I rely on the adhesive alone?

Thanks!

#2 knights_templar

knights_templar

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 1,213 posts
  • Car type:zero

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

Depends on wing stays, you may have to tweak, and the molds the wings were made in. Later mold is best.

Trim wing where you need to to get it to easily sit where you want it, run needs of glue, and strap to wheel with masking tape.

Leave overnight and in tape. Add more bonding where necessary.

#3 James24785

James24785

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 18
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

Depends on wing stays, you may have to tweak, and the molds the wings were made in. Later mold is best.

Trim wing where you need to to get it to easily sit where you want it, run needs of glue, and strap to wheel with masking tape.

Leave overnight and in tape. Add more bonding where necessary.

Can the wing stays be bent easily enough? Passenger side certainly could do with a tweak, as its not square to wheel, which is probably half the cause tbh

#4 nelmo

nelmo

Magazine Editor

• Committee
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:52 AM

One of my original wings flew off at speed earlier this year - re-done recently, full details in my blog:

https://zerolifebuil...ches-again.html

#5 nicko

nicko

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 1,352 posts
  • Car type:2B Plus, 2.0i

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

I've seen somewhere that if you use some flat sheet folded round the tube of the wing stay like a P clip and screwed/bolted in place. Drill a few holes in the flat part of the P clip and "glue" to that, it will give a greater surface area for the "glue" to grip to.

HTH

Nick

2.0i 2B Plus. Collected 30/10/04, SVA passed 24/05/07, GRIN factor...... off the scale

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 unclechief

unclechief

Keith Kelly - Events Sec

• Committee
  • 2,145 posts
  • Car type:GBS ZERO Zetec Zx6r carbs 163BHP

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

I had to bend my stays to get the sports wings to fit level. Done not matter so much on the non flat top type. I just stikaflexed mine on using loads to ensure a good bond. I had to re-do them recently as ended up with wider tyres and were rubbing on stays. though I had them on strait but dried wonky!

GBS Zero

"Likes Splatting Badger Guts onto Fellow Members"

#7 jaimo

jaimo

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 1,705 posts
  • Car type:robin hood exmo

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:59 PM

You wonky keith never 😁😁😁
Will it ever be a good runner ?

#8 cb750

cb750

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 1,379 posts
  • Car type:3A

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

I used pieces of perforated stainless steel with welded studs. These are bonded into place using Tigerseal. The studs are used to fasten plastic pipe clips in place to snap over my round section stays, if yours are flat perhaps they could be drilled to take the studs? The clip and stay are drilled to take a small safety bolt.

Attached File  IMG_0646.JPG   101.91KB   0 downloads

#9 knights_templar

knights_templar

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 1,213 posts
  • Car type:zero

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

Can the wing stays be bent easily enough? Passenger side certainly could do with a tweak, as its not square to wheel, which is probably half the cause tbh

should bend with right lever, tube around support is better lever in tube may bend end of support.

#10 marlin

marlin

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 18
  • 63 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero GT

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

This is how I mounted the front wings to ensure removal ability. So far up to 70 mph they have held. Note rivet in center of EMT strap to ensure no side-wards movement. Will need to drill out to remove wing.

Attached File  smDSCN3986.jpg   234.7KB   5 downloads

Attached File  smDSCN4011.jpg   438.32KB   4 downloads

Bottom of wing is coated with truck bed liner to try and prevent 'starring' of GRP. I live 1 mile up a gravel road. Sport style wings used.

Marlin

#11 James24785

James24785

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 18
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

This is how I mounted the front wings to ensure removal ability. So far up to 70 mph they have held. Note rivet in center of EMT strap to ensure no side-wards movement. Will need to drill out to remove wing.
smDSCN3986.jpg
smDSCN4011.jpg
Bottom of wing is coated with truck bed liner to try and prevent 'starring' of GRP. I live 1 mile up a gravel road. Sport style wings used.
Marlin

I like that! Are they basically conduit saddles?

I wonder if anyone local would stock those threaded bases? (Don't know the real name of them) lol

#12 marlin

marlin

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 18
  • 63 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero GT

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:33 AM

Yes. 3/4" conduit saddles, known as EMT (electrical metal tubing) straps over here.

Here is a link to my supplier for the mounting studs; part #  https://www.mcmaster...4/3267/=1dadc63 , hopefully someone local has them. Used 1/4-20 x 1/2" and smaller ones also to mount the stone guards on to the front of the rear wings. 

Marlin

#13 James24785

James24785

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 18
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:54 AM

Yes. 3/4" conduit saddles, known as EMT (electrical metal tubing) straps over here.
Here is a link to my supplier for the mounting studs; part #  https://www.mcmaster...4/3267/=1dadc63 , hopefully someone local has them. Used 1/4-20 x 1/2" and smaller ones also to mount the stone guards on to the front of the rear wings. 
Marlin

Ahh yes I forgot you were over the water. Many thanks mate

#14 cb750

cb750

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 1,379 posts
  • Car type:3A

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

I believe CBS do these "big head" fasteners

#15 James24785

James24785

Getting there Builder

• RHOCaR 18
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:47 AM

I believe CBS do these "big head" fasteners

Yeah found them in the catalogue last night.

Take it these aren't the type of things a local hardware store would stock? Wanted to get them fitted tomorrow really