I Just Cant Stop Tinkering

tractor

just trying to find out wot clutch and fly to use cos the original one is a beastie

I might end up with a modified pinto clutch when I say modified you just elongate some of the pressure plate bolt holes

Edited by tractor

I have a spare 1.8 zetec fly and clutch but just don't know if it will take the power the clutch and fly that were on the st170 is massive with wot looks like a floating pressure plate so don't think that will match to a type9

Guest lotusPaul

I think what your referring to is a dual mass fly wheel on the st170. I believe an 1800 zetec will fit as well as the 2000, 1800 is just a bit lighter. From there you have it machined to fit your clutch DEPENDING on your choice of gearbox.

no its not dual mass I know dual mass are huge this looks like a normal clutch but the pressure plate is floating

personally I think the 1.8 fly and clutch will do think I would loose traction before clutch slip

When I fitted my blacktop I used a new mondeo 1.8 flywheel, spinner and pressure plate. It slipped. Changed to 1.8 flywheel drilled for pinto clutch, with organic spinner and uprated pressure plate (From RetroFord) which was fine. These then transferred straight over to the ST170 engine with no problem. No hint of clutch slip 10,000 miles on.

All the other bits from a silvertop will bolt straight on with a couple of exceptions. You will need to open out the inlet manifold to port match it to the head. (It bolts on fine but the ports in the manifold will need opening up 3mm or so and their alignment is slightly off.) You will need a new alternator bracket. You will need an idler for the alternator belt to change drive direction on the water pump pulley.

Apart from those it's plug and play!

I've often thought about the VVT controller but it didn't exist when I did the change and I ended up fitting a vernier wheel on the inlet cam.

ARP bolts on big ends and flywheel are a good choice too.

Nigel