I Just Cant Stop Tinkering

tractor

just been tinkering again just had DTI gauge out set correct TDC then fitted verneir pulley on exhaust cam and advanced it 5 degrees just got to wait for the rain to stop to test it but at tick over purrrrs nicely

I played with the cam timing on my XE (very carefully!)

I found that advancing the cam(s) pushed the power band higher in the rev range, but

did deliver a few more horses.

It also made it totally useless round Lydden.....it refused to pull out of corners.

Retarding it slightly (2-3 degrees) widened the power band, the power came in about 500 rpm

lower.

BUT BE CAREFUL!!! or pistons & valves may kiss.....& not in an attractive way!

whilst setting the the verneir pulley I didn't tighten up the centre bolt and I turned engine over by hand and didn't notice exhaust cam wasn't turning but the engine turned over !!!!! I would have expected it to lock up but it didn't !!!!!!

And probably reduce the BHP figure.

I'd start with 2 or 3, see what happens, than go to 5

BUT ONLY IF YOU THINK ITS SAFE !!!!!!

My tinkering only came about because the exh. cam vernier came loose

& sat at about 5 degrees advanced without me knowing.

But the car became a pig to drive......no grunt until 5.5K then all at once with a bang.

After I set it to the cam grinders figures, & it became very tractable, I retarded it a bit more

& got even more torque, but the engine lost all its camminess? & power delivery became very

flat.

I did similar but deliberately. Had read on the internet that up to 6 degrees retarded was 'safe' for the exhaust cam on the ST. Tried it on the rollers. Lost a couple of top end horses but the torque gain lower down more than made up for it. When I next had the head off I found the valves had been touching the piston tops and then remembered the head has been skimmed. Amazingly no other damage done and I have backed off to just 4 degrees. Makes quite a change in the engine note and more tractable. Don't notice the top end loss as I have too many horses anyway! :)

Nigel

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Chris, have you ever considered it to wear as set of mittens at least one day a week.

You are going to wear your tool box out the rate that you go.