Tidy Up Pinto

Guest janis

While waiting on. My taxbook papers thinking about tidying up my engine...there is leaks all around rocker cover..i tried thigting the bolt up a bit and they all are loose..and might be overtighted already...

Anyway i want to take that cover off and put new gasket in...woud be nice if someone coud tell me what else i shoud change to tidy engine up like gakets or some seals..

And where can i find my engine nr?there is loads of nr all round it but which is right one?need order that gasket for cover..

And what about newman cams?are they good?they are cheaper than kent..shoud i change camshaft and fallowers?

Plan is to tidy all up and mabe put new cams when i working at it...then when i free up some money ill put r1 carbs on and maybe megajolt or some ignition..so far now i woud like to prepare engine for all that and for summer..

And same time i keep checking for some second hand parts maybe some manifold comes up :)

Thanx

Ok..i coud do that..i have place in my town doing that..

What shoud i bid max for this?http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161613541105&alt=web

Thats woud be set i need then..

Pinto's leak oil, to reduce this you should clean all surfaces then use a thin smear of grey Hylomar on one gadket surface and glue to rocker cover.

When dry you can smear the other face and clamp down.

I also smear bolt threads and use the load spreading washers.

When changing a cam I would consider changing the cam bearings and the spray bar as well as rockers and stem seals.

In my opinion a cam kit is better than a plain cam as you get all the bits you should change anyway

The cam comes out the back of the engine, so engine needs lifting most of the way out to do it.

Unless you cut a hole in the bulkhead. You will probably find the cam cover is distorted around the fixing holes, when you take it off put it on a flat surface, to check and then gently tap the flanges back to where they should be.

Engine number is stamped on a flat surface on the right hand (driver) side on the block web that mates to the bellhousing as in the pic below.

Can't find a pinto picture. The picture is a zetec which has a convex area there. The pinto has a bigger web with a machined flat on it that the letters and numbers are stamped on. The engine number is never cast in.

Nigel

post-21-0-04135300-1424996001_thumb.jpg

As said before, make sure the base of the cam cover is not distorted. Use the special load spreader washers under the bolt heads and tighten to the correct torque and in the correct sequence to allow the gasket to seal properly. I use Wellseal or Hylomar on my gaskets.

Guest Gargoil

Depends on your confidence with your engine, if you should change the followers, but as above you may as well change everything while the cylinder head is off. It wont be cheap though, all the other bits and bobs that go with a cam change will make the price of the cam the least of your worries. So why not go for a cam that is recommended such as the Kent fr32? However the Ebay item seems reasonably priced at the moment.

Ill keep in eye that ebay item too...there is whole engine for sale as well in ireland wich has reconditioned head and loads of stuff done like bearings and cams and gakets h&r ignition flywheel...someone get all done drive 2500miles and now put cosworth engine in it..im just gathering info and looking for best way to do it..

One of the lorry drivers come over for chat when i was reading classic ford at work..he said he had mk1 and mk2 years ago and he was racing Pintos in stock cars..i show him pictures and video with my rh and he said it has high lift cams..i did not belive him but he said he can tell by the noise and haw she rews and all...

Thats my first pinto so i have no idea...can u tell by the noise if pinto has high lift cam?might leave cams for now then is there anything i can look for when i change rocker covrr gasket like double springs or something?

Manage to find danst engineering jetted cbr900 carbs and manifold with thrumpets and socks..very little used and it was only 230..i think cheap..pick up tomorrow or sunday..two hour drive for me..

Some one bought mans capri and wanted all standart with original seats and carb...he has fuel regulator and electric pump but its 40 quid each..i seen cheaper ones new in ebay..