Handbrake

tractor

having just converted to disc brakes the handbrake wont work

with the callipers off if I pull the handbrake the cable pulls the cam to the stop on on the callipers but the piston does not move

does anybody know is the handbrake hydraulic or is it worked by a cam in the calliper if it is hydraulic then there must be air in it although the foot brake seems to work ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just took them apart and yes it is hydraulic and not on a cam so must be air in there the bleed nipple is at the bottom so have to see if I can back fill it under pressure

We are talking Sierra rear calipers here aren't we? if so, the caliper must be mounted wrong, the nipple should be on top.

cable%20fastening.jpg

Edited by Big Jim

Guest 2b cruising

Take the calipers off and put something solid to stop the pads closing in.

Turn it upside down to get the nipple on top and bleed them in that possition.

Then just put them back on.

Either vacuum or pressure bleeding can leave blind spots with air in if the outlet is lower than other parts.

Eazibleed is good but it won't get trapped air out if the nipple isn't at the highest point.

Air rises in a fluid, there's no defying physics.

Trouble is i built the car and there is plenty of pipe work higher than the bleed nipple so eezibleed is the only way to purge the system that is commercially available that I found.

Air in a fluid under pressure is compressed heated and dissolves eezibleed does all of these things to any trapped air and then when the nipple is opened micro bubbles form and are expelled with the clean fluid being pushed through under pressure... Physics