Snow On Ye Tintop

Guest scrabster

Guest scrabster

i was told yesterday that it is now against the law to drive your car with snow on the roof and it has a £60 fine and 3 points on your license.can anyone confirm this please.watch out all those up norf where its a lot worse than we have it here at the mo.

regards,jess.

i was told yesterday that it is now against the law to drive your car with snow on the roof and it has a £60 fine and 3 points on your license.can anyone confirm this please.watch out all those up norf where its a lot worse than we have it here at the mo.

regards,jess.

I heard that a couple of years ago... Spose it makes sense, its a bit like an unsecured load, slam your anchors on and it`ll fill the windscreen or drive along

fast and the chap behind wont be able to see much.

I always go over the roof with a dust pan before I set off. Takes just seconds.

Andi

There's no offence specifically related to snow on the roof. What you would be charged with is transporting an unsecured load and it's not a new regulation it's just that we haven't had much snow in recent years so it's been largely forgotten about as relates to snow which is the case where most of us would run across the problem.

Sorry if you think it's too far but I wholeheartedly agree with it and to be honest don't think it's enforced enough - it's not a nice experience to have lumps of snow and ice fall off the roof of the car in front when you're doing 50 on the motorway. The absolute worst is the lumps of ice that collect on the roofs of artics which fall off when they go around a sharp corner like a roundabout and those sat waiting to join get clobbered with 2 inch thick lumps of ice from the puddles that formed on their roof and froze overnight.

On a car almost everyone is tall enough to sweep it off with their arm and if not get a stool and a brush. If you've got a van then buy a step-ladder. It's not hard, it's not expensive and it's not rocket science. It's also not an excuse to say I can't comply with the rules of the road - if you need to buy something to let you drive safely then stick your hand in your pocket the same as you do when it comes to insurance and tax-disc time.

Iain

Guest russell555

quick look in the highway code....

Before you set off

you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows

you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible

make sure the mirrors are clear and the windows are demisted thoroughly

remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users

[Laws CUR reg 30, RVLR reg 23, VERA sect 43 & RV(DRM)R reg 11]

this law comes under "using a vehicle in a dangerous condition".... and carries 3 points

GET YA BROOMS OUT!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by russell555

Guest manglemender

Sorry if you think it's too far but I wholeheartedly agree with it and to be honest don't think it's enforced enough - it's not a nice experience to have lumps of snow and ice fall off the roof of the car in front when you're doing 50 on the motorway.

Iain

I quite agree. Even if it wasn't an offense then surely it would still be common sense and common decency to remove any snow that would fall off on to the road that many people are trying to keep clear of snow!

Nick

had a bit of a brown trouser moment this mornin on A1

following an artic when a slab of ice & snow about 6 foot square fell from the back of the roof,

luckily seen it coming and got into outside lane, could have been v nasty if I had been a bit closer.

would the artic driver get charged if it had caused an accident??

Paul

Buy a step ladder then place that against an icy high top van sheet ice at the base climb and brake my arm or leg or worse as the ladder slips off health and safety on building site would not allow the use of ladders in these conditions so sorry if you get pelted with snow from the roof of my hire van but maybe if you were the required braking distance behind me instead of glued to my tail cause I can't go 100mph it wouldn't land on you "simples"