Steering Column Mount And Version Question

Guest Jordster

Guest Jordster

Hi Guys,

I finally got into the garage for the first time since getting the Robin hood from a friend and decided the first job was to see what was in the car. The car originally ran however my friend noticed various parts were put together poorly and decided to strip the car down. I have taken it in it's partly put back state which basically included the car with the engine, gear box, clutch and suspension in. There is some fire wall but I need to look at that.

My first question (and I'm sure there will be plenty on this forum) is that of the steering column bracket. You may be able to see by the photo on the tube there is a simple piece of aluminium folded over and riveted which is as useful as paper when it comes to the steering column feeling rigid. Can anyone tell me the correct name for this part and where I can buy something correct that will fix properly to the tube?

Any help would be great as I'm learning pretty much from basics other than servicing a car my knowledge is somewhat basic however I'm stubborn and determined so will get this car fixed 100% and love learning!

Thanks in advance,

Jord

post-13250-0-52760700-1460223009_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jordster

Thanks Richy and guys,

The 32mm exhaust mounts didn't quite fit so I've ordered some 35mm which look better and a sheet of 3mm stainless steel. I'll fit once I've the steering rack extensions and worked my way up so I can get the set up spot on with the seating position. Will need to refit the pedal box first and go from there.

Had a back op last week so out of action for 4 weeks but plenty of time to order parts and read up some more!

Cheers again guys - photos to follow once installed!!

Hi Jord - I was never happy with the flimsy metal bracket over the tube idea either. Think I went ott with the solution though and welded in some angle iron across the tubes with droppers down to the column mount. One thing's for sure though - it's def not going anywhere and couldn't feel anymore solid! :D

IMG_5520_zpsxyi20bam.jpg

IMG_5522_zpso19zdnoo.jpg

IMG_5521_zpsmvoez4cg.jpg

IMG_5523_zpshg2dkfnc.jpg

Cheers

Tony

I made sure mine was rigid vertically and horizontally....quiet at the back!

but it also allowed the column to collapse forward in the event of an accident.

I also used the bottom bearing in the firewall instead of Ford's plastic gizmo.

The steering wheel is completely rigid.