Sva Fail

gomatthome

All started well cold but dry day. Set off for Derby test centre 6.30 from sheffield for 8.00 start.

Nick Orwin was acting as support vehicle. Then a couple of miles away fron erby front right break started sounding funny. Stopped had quick look could not see anything but all did not feel well.

Arrived at test centre again checked breaks and it turned out that one of the pads had disintegrated and piston had been rubbing direct on disk.Knew at this point an instant fail as break was not in prime condition. Spoke to tester and asked if i could go and purchase new fit and then still have test.

Examiner at first unhappy but boss of station said he would give us the chance and then do test as they were not that busy that day. So off we went in Nicks car bought parts moved 2b to side road. When caliper removed it turned out that piston had been damaged fitted new pad but knew at this point no way would pass nor would they let the car be driven home.

I told the examiner no point doing test and obviously what came next was the prohibition notice and had to make arrangements for car to be trailerd home. Well i suppose its just one of those things but still was pi**ed off at not being able to drive back but having got car back felt better safe than sorry.

Whilst waiting for trailer examiner did do a quick look and provided advice on what other things would need to be done for car to get through test. I list these if anyone is interested.

Position of hadbreak unacceptable. I have fitted as per robin hood instructions. Whist i can reach 6 ft 1 the examiner was much smaller and said he would fail as he could not with belts on will need to amend.

He would not accept silicon sealant in any screw heads this is classed as temporory and unacceptable dispite other people getting away with this. Either full screw head covers or compliant heads needed.

Edge trim fitted around exhause hole unacceptable unless can provide evidence it is fire proof. Will need to provide a fully radiused edge.

Ditto any trim edge to exhaust heat cover.

The dummy strut on front suspension as supplied by RH does not have a radius edge so would fail unless sorted.

Did not like RH supplied front indicator extensions need to sorce better.

The large adjuster nuts on bottom of springs may not pass wanted to see a gaitor fitted to cover them.

Pedal box - he stated that there is lateral movement of the pedals when fitted as per RH. in addition to the top bracing he would want to see further bracing to prevent any lateral movement.

wanted to see cycle wing brackets have permanant cover over the bolts that support it. He wanted to see a rubber cover similar to track rod end covers tied on with straps.

The supposidly sva compliant side view mirrors are not so whilst of the correct size they cannot be fitted in such a way as to give adequate field of view new ones need to be sourced. Also he adived that these should not vibrate otherwise would fail.

would pass moiuntney wheel if it had cover not happy with silicon sealant. If used sierra whell he advised that it should not obstruct any part of the view of the spedo if it did which he has seen it would be a fail.

on other hand rear view mirror does not need to be on extension as in this position it vibrates and will fail he was happy to see it fitted directly to the bonett and was not concerned that little could be seen out (provided the side mirrors provided correct field of view.

biggest job to sort out breaks - just one of those things

next handbreak position.

others are small but anooying.

dispite the problems am still happy went in for the test ( will get refund as did not actually have a formal one) have some advice on what needs to be done. So once i get over dissapointment will have to start to sort out.

Has anyone else had problems with lateral movement of the pedal box / solutions.

Will look at postings re position of handbreak i know there have been many in the past.

Finally would like to thank Nick for his help and support on the day.

hope the above is of interest

TRYING TO KEEP SPIRITS UP

Phil

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battery Bill
Has anyone else had problems with lateral movement of the pedal box / solutions.

I can't remember RH giving that much advice on fitting the pedal box, anyway its just a matter of taking out the spring clip and the shaft holding the pedals then taking up any slack with washers. RH did correctly advise that you can space the pedals out to your own choice in this way.

Easy fix

The RH mirrors are SVA compliant you need to fit them in a suitable position where you can see behind

All the other Trimming / Radius problems are not really RH problems everyone is advised to "Trim or radius" the components before SVA.

You are just unlucky with the silicon sealant in the screw heads because lots have passed including us useing this method.

Good luck with the retest

Edge trim fitted around exhause hole unacceptable unless can provide evidence it is fire proof. Will need to provide a fully radiused edge.

This worries me, any ideas what would work.

Or its some sort of modified gearlever surround and there not cheap.

Guest chris brown
next handbreak position
Do a search as most people have come up against this problem and there are several ways of overcoming it. The picture is of the handbrake from Bills 2nd car the idea was good and will work but your welding has to be a bit better than the previous owner of that car did :p :p :p

That looks to be a bit severe, especially the bit about fire proof edge trim for the exhaust.

Klaxon's idea is good, it looks well engineered, but it may restrict space for the passenger's legs. You might decide not to compromise on this. Note the extra strengthening on the tunnel side panel.

Try the tunnel top mounting approach:-

Tunnel top mount picture

The pedal box flexes in the donor car. All you need to do is bolt some flat strap between the box and the nearest chassis member. Use the thick stuff and it will not flex laterally:

Pedal box strengthener

The dummy strut is easy to cover:

Dummy Strut Cover

That material is Hozelock PVC pond pipe from B&Q. It's £10 a roll. I used it all over the place (including the cycle wing brackets).

Good luck

JonB

Thanks for comments on handbreak. Will need to think hard how to do, if starting again would put on top but this now would mean dismantiling the car!!. will do searck for additional ideas but was thinking about tilting the whole thing upwards so that its resting position was similat to its position as now fully on. This would mean that when on it would be much higher up. I guess this would mean that i would then need to extend the connecting mech to the cable if you know what i mean has anyone done this / any opics.

After the dissapointment now determined to get sorted and back in for test. At the time felt like scrapping the whole thing after 14 months of hard work.

I think the bracing will be easy to sort i did have bracing front and back just nothing on the side hopefully adding additional bracing will prevent that lateral movement.

The mirrors do worry me the inspector said that wherever you put these you wont get correct field of view. Given i did not have screen on and mirrors at max widthe of car dont see how these can be made to work. the mirrors at this stage least of problems to sort out.

phil

Guest timswait

Sorry to hear about the fail, if it's any consolation mine failed twice before it passed, the first time the list was about as extensive as yours, the next time it was just a few minor points that I couldn't quite get done on the day.

For handbrake:

was thinking about tilting the whole thing upwards so that its resting position was similat to its position as now fully on

Exactly what I've done, I also had a short arse examiner who couldn't reach it in it's RHE supplied position. I fabricated a new mount for it from some bits of steel to mount it at the new position.

For the exhaust trim, you can use a bit of solid brake hose bent to a circle. Either use a bit of copper and braze it on, or use steel and weld it. This was suggested by my examiner and he passed it when I had done it.

For the pedal box movement I've braced from the top of it back to the tube the steering column mounts on and it seems pretty solid.

If you want to take a look at anything on my car then you're welcome to come over, I'm living in Upperthorpe now.

At least you'll have it on the road in time for the summer :D

Hi

Handbrake

You will find piccy etc on www.gbowden.co.uk under mods.

The stsnadrad Sierra handbrake was used ( modified ) but used the original RHE holes in the floorpan - and thus the angle crosspiece etc for strength. All I really did was make the handle longer and bend the lugs and extend the activating piece that goes through the pan , so that movement of the cable did not hit the floor.

If you want detailed pics I can take them. The whole mechanism is just boxed in and does not interfere with moving the seat back and forth.

Graham

Mirrors are a piece of cake. All you do is extend the RH supplied ones by cutting the arms and putting m8 threaded bar in the grooves, a whack with a hammer, some silicone, then wrap the whole thing in self amalgamating tape. Mounting these on the corners of the scuttle gives such exellent rear view that you don't need the centre mirror (according to my examiner at Southampton).

a whack with a hammer, some silicone, then wrap the whole thing in self amalgamating tape

Don't you just love Robin Hoods!!

Seriously though I will need to do this myself before Thursday - have the RH mirrors on either side, mounting on the top corners of the bonnet. It does sound a bit drastic, though? Can they be made to look smart again after the SVA?