Lightweight Sva

Guest ReadingTrev

Guest salty_monk

Trevor posted the name of the guy at VOSA that he was dealing with somewhere... a phone number too from memory.

Dan :)

The UK VOSA SVA technical manager is Steve Bardsley, I suggest the lightweight boys call him, as ultimately, he sent out the memo to all stations, and “holds the key.” Get him on 0870 6060440. Very nice bloke, and he is *well aware* of our situation.

There you go... :)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having seen Diyer's lightweight car at Donny today I am sure they can be strenghtened to meet the requirements of an strict Sva test. Basically, using ali box section along the tunnel down the car and the same across the car at the back of the tunnel beefing up the structure of the car and giving you something more substantial to bolt the seat belt harness points to. Also, the top of the side panels where they are bent over by the drivers and passengers arms do not make a complete closed section, if more box section was fixed under the fold down the car this would strengthen the tub and especially the driver/passenger area.

If there are other areas that I did not see (only had a quick look) the same principle could be used to strengthen these.

(Observations intended to help other builders)

Les

Guest Ian & Carole

Today at Donnington Show I had the pleasure to meet Trevor.

I would just like to say it was great to see this guy full of smiles, great humour, looking forward to his new build and NOT A BAD WORD TO SAY ABOUT ANYBODY!!

If Trevor can then so can all of us.

lets draw a line under this one

and move on to doing what we do best, helping others.

Ian J

Lightweight Ian, i think you may have misconstrude the other ians remarks, i think he ment for us to stop the slaging off and consentrate on the solution to this problem, any engineering problem can be solved, in many ways like the evolution of the 2b and the 3 series before it.

I have huge simpathy for the Lightweight builders, i had contacted RHE in the early days with an interest but bought a series 3a cheap instead.

I doubt the SVA inspectors would advise us on acceptable mods but if we engage in dialog it may help. The SVA tester that made his observations about the structural integrity of the Lightweight may have stired up a bit of a storm within VOSA, but they will back there man or every fail could be contested and put the onus of proof on VOSA.

Guest lightweightian

You are missing the point....

i have spoken to VOSA and without a destructive seatbelt "tug" test they will never pass another lightweight....

anyone willing to put theres forward ?? im not

I am left with a product unfit for use. and anyone who thinks they will get one on the road without SERIOUS mods has been talking to Rhsc too much !!!

Guest Ian & Carole

Thank you Paul

I was tryig to get people back on track just as you understood, slagging each other can only be distructive and counter productive. :(

Iam completely lost, try to move on, offering support and the slagging starts again!!!!!!!!

and move on to doing what we do best, helping others.

Ian J

Ian J

ian talk to nottingham you are dribbling again it does not need a seat belt pull test just some 4mm steel plate to go under the roll bar and use 10.9 grade bolts not the fence bolts that RHSC supplied

Guest zoomzoom

Where does the roll bar plate go?

Is it under the roll bar to sandwich the alloy top panel between two steel panels or does it go across to the rear arms that come down from the hoops or both ??

Will it have to be the full length of the roll bar or just part?

sorry for all the questions

Marcus

Guest warwick7735

Hi

As I understand it SVA are worried that the bolts could pull through the alloy, so you should place a metal plate under the rear roll bar legs, and right along the main seat back. I changed all the roll bar bolts to Stainless dome heads.

Funny thing with the LW is the whole weight of the rear of the car is pressing on the rollbar, I placed a 4mm aluminium piece right across the rear of the car to cover the hole in the back.

Warwick

I've read through all the various threads again about the lightweight problems, and I'm not best pleased as to the slagging off from various segments of the "community" so lets put things into perspective shall we...........

The lightweight has inbuilt manufactured strength problems that the SVA now don't like

RHSC have gone into administration and are not of much use in resolving the problem at the moment.

Now to all you lightweight builders out there, you have my sympathy, but that's not going to get your car through the SVA. What you must remember is that apart from the chassis (not the concept, as there were monocoque Hoods before) there is nothing much different to any other Hood, so separate "themes" are not needed on the board.

Now you have to realise that you've bought a new model, with still only 1 or 2 cars having actually made it through the SVA (rightly or not!) so there is only you guys who can help each other out with the problems (chassis) as there's only you guys building that particular chassis type.

I would suggest that you all start to make yourselves a website about your build, take plenty of photo's and post them up (a photo is better than a 1000 words) let people see what your idea's are to overcome the problems, they may have a different slant on things etc.

Pool your knowledge, not your anger.

Lets forget the slagging and get on with it, no-one else is going to do it for you (not RHSC anyway!)

Best of luck to you all, don't let it grind you down, it CAN be sorted!

Jim