F1: 1946 - 2009 Rip

Knock-on

With open war between FOTA and the FIA, Ferrari threatening to walk, Ferrari taking the FIA to court, bernie talking about sueing Ferrari, the manufacturers threatening to pull out of F1 and teams like Campos (yep, the well known household name) confirming entry under the £40m cap plan, I think we are seeing the demise of F1 as we know it.

The FISA FOCA wars at least left F1 in place but I feel the series is doomed unless someone can oust Max from the FIA (and hopefully Bernie from CVC).

Anyone else a fan of F1. Anyone care?

Guest Ian & Carole

:lazy: :lazy: Sorry but thats what F1 does to me :lazy: :lazy:

Sadly I must confess that my one sporting love has been distroyed this year when all but two teams pulled out of WRC :aggressive: :sorry:

Guest manglemender

I grew up within cycling distance of Silverstone and was a regular visitor in my youth - sometimes with tickets and sometimes without. I even drove round the circuit on my moped on one memorable occasion working there. Whilst the F1 Grand Prix was the most high profile event it was also one of the least interesting; The Formula Ford, Touring Cars etc. were allways more enjoyable from a spectator viewpoint.

The loss of F1 would be a loss to the whole racing fraternity in respect of the knock-on effects in terms of investment and research.

I've felt that Bernie has had is day and should step down for some time and, quite frankly, I'm amazed that Max is still where he is too.

Nick

Guest RichardO
teams like Campos (yep, the well known household name)

Were McLaren, Williams, Jordon, etc household names when they first entered F1? Nobody said anything like this when Midland/Spyker/Force India joined. Plus aren't Campos a leading team in GP2?

The current state of F1 is a bit of a joke and both Bernie and Max should stand down, but what are the chances of that happening.

Bring in the budget cap, bring in more new teams, more cars in each race. Yes, they maybe new teams (with names most people won't recognise) and they won't be upto speed immediately (a bit like BMW/Ferrari/McLaren this year), but they have made the commitment to be there (unlike Lola in the 90's).

If existing teams don't like it they can leave and find somewhere else to race, there will be a new team to replace them.

It will still be F1 to me, and I've followed it since the 80's through all the various rule/regs changes.

Rich...

Guest Nigel Novice

Afraid its turned into a funeral procession with cars only changing position in the pit lane, put enough fuel in them to last the race and then reverse the grid so leading points scorer is at the back and has to overtake to gain a position :lazy: :lazy:

Afraid its turned into a funeral procession with cars only changing position in the pit lane, put enough fuel in them to last the race and then reverse the grid so leading points scorer is at the back and has to overtake to gain a position :lazy: :lazy:

Sounds like we have have an ex stock car driver amongst us , i must admit that i agree totaly , reverse the grid , best at the back , let the battle begin.

Mike

Fuel for entire race comes in next year; so the pit lane overtaking will be down to who fits the correct tyres & when; now need another (2nd) tyre manufacturer to get rid of the compulsory stop for option 2 tyre.

who can drive the best

You stupid boy, Pike. That's the last thing F1 is about. It's about money only. The politics and ownership of F1 is very difficult as Bernie and Max have the licences for a period in excess of their lifetimes, another 100+ years. As a result it is not reformable as the reforms start with their removal. Kindest thing to do is let it die and become like A1 and the teams go off and start a new championship, Ultimate GP or whatever. We can but hope.

Nigel

Guest TerryBarry

To quote BBC report today

"It has also emerged in the last week that Ferrari and the FIA had signed an agreement four years ago that gave the Italian team the right of veto over the sport's rules."

So the "Ferrari International Assistance" acronym wasn't so far from the truth. :D :D

Guest info@trackdayUK

Personally i think the capping is a good idea,at least well get some competition all season round not just watch the team with the most money win,yet again :rolleyes:!!

Button has shown he is every bit as good as hamilton as have numerous other drivers this season .

Having a limit on how much you can spend is a great humbler aint it!!

Can you imagine Man U being where they are on Swansea`s bank account?

I thought not!

Like clarkson said,all race drviers are the same,they can all go round a corner at the same speed but if one car does 3 mph more then it stands to reason that it will win!!

Fire away , i can take it :D

Guest sritony

Big fan of F1 for years, and loving it again but as soon as you switch on the touring cars with 3-4 entering a corner at once, push out slides, over taking constantly fantastic sport and great fun to watch to ITV4 for people who don't know...........

A1GP is what F1 could be with the sprint race with few laps and just a mad dash would make for much better racing then followed by the main race!

F1 is getting a little boring but now its on BBC the coverage is so much better but I also think this is pushing it towards the end of the life as we know it.... still glued to my set every sunday apart from last week where i lay down which was a big mistake haha!!