Stafford Show

Guest Christine

Guest Christine

Re my comment about the Stafford show and as a reply to some of the comments that have been posted, Firstly I've been encouraged by the debate and that it doesn't seem to be my imagination that I feel this way.

I apoligise if I have offended anyone as I know from experience there is a lot of work involved in commitee membership, I also know that new members and retained members are vital to the continuation to any club and that new members will become commitee members if they are made to feel part of the club thereby keeping the club healthy.

I realise that some will use the opportunity of the shows to get together with friends / other committee members, and also that it can be hard to spot a new or potential member if they are just visiting the stand.

Just a couple of suggestions for debate

The big top could have an area for new / potential members that is manned for this purpose, separate from where established members 'chat'

New members cars could be identified some way to show it is their first year of membership.

Garry

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark I am sorry if you feel that one of us committee gave you a un welcome feeling,

It may have been me and I can only apologise for that.

It is also very hard to hand out raffle tickets to possibly complete strangers and ask them for their membership card. You feel like you don’t trust them to be a member. Stoneleigh was the first time we as the new committee had done this and things did not get published as well as we could have.

This weekend young Jade handed out a lot of the tickets and I even had to show her my card. She was very charming in doing so, in a way I could never be. (I am big fat fat bloke) Mark please come and introduce your self at the next event.

At Stafford I did not stray to far as I had so much interest in my tear drop and we have to man the stand as well. So did not chat to as many as I would have l liked to.

Stephen

in a way rhocar is a victim of its own success or rather Robin Hoods success.

Not many other makes will have 100 plus at most shows, and that many cars and people are a bit much to get to talk to everyone. (its different in the vinidcator owners club. If i parked on their pitch i'd double the attendance! thats why i'd rather park on rhocars)

i think the local meets are vital to get to know people, as its in a manageable group. the Leeds/Bradford lot were really friendly when i found myself up in their neck of the woods for a year or so, and they are some of the first faces/cars that i look out for when i arrive at a show.

more work, and a baby mean to i dont get to hardly any local meets or runs at the moment, but for me the local aspect of a national club is the best thing.

again, in comparison to vindicator. I'm a regional co-ordinator there and my area stretches as far north as leeds, down to nearly brum, and over to stoke on one side and lincoln on the other! i dont imagine we'll be popping to the pub together on a week night!

how about a newbie bit on the forum and a newbie prize at stoneligh every year for most active new member?

paul

Suggestion

It might be worth getting a limited number of volunteers or committee members to say wear red tops have info at their cars. Easily identified, this could, for newer members give them a point of contact other than than the big top. They could be then chaperoned to the big top.

Being at the car this becomes the talking point, as Steve saw the tear drop created a lot of interest same principle.

?????????

Paul

Guest Christine
Suggestion

It might be worth getting a limited number of volunteers or committee members to say wear red tops have info at their cars. Easily identified, this could, for newer members give them a point of contact other than than the big top. They could be then chaperoned to the big top.

Being at the car this becomes the talking point, as Steve saw the tear drop created a lot of interest same principle.

?????????

Paul

Excellent Idea! Paul.

Garry

Guest Christine
Perhaps with there being so many people turning up at the shows for a chat, lots of people catching up, a few new people do feel a little intimidated as they know nobody apart from a few forum names.

Maybe doing as I did and go to your local meet a few times, where there a fewer people and more chance to talk to members would mean you would at least you know some people when you get to a show, then once you know one friendly face at a show you soon get introduced on to others easier.

Although I do like the idea of a jumper/shirt idea with "RHOCaR Chairman" etc. printed on the back so they are easier to find for newer people who may not know them by sight.

Just my 2ps worth.

This is ok if you have an active area group, as far as I'm aware Kidderminster/Worcestershire has not, it is covered by the West Midlands group which is a huge area and would mean traveling quite a distance to local meets.

Garry

Guest peter2b2002

Going to your 1st show or club meet can seem lonely as every one seems to ignore you or seem to cold shoulder you, I felt like that when I moved to a new area, It' only a feeling not a fact stick with it you will find out Hoodies are a friendly lot some are a bit slow to say helo, best thing I found was, at a show go to some ones car with it's bonnet up a 2-3 guys looking at it and ask a question

peter2b

Hi,

This being my first year with the car on the road, 1st experience of attending a show was at Newark. I did attend a local meet a few weeks prior, which I'm glad I did as I drove down with another Hoodie.

Must admit I do recognise the "Symptom" of feeling a little daunted/ excluded. This lasted all of a few minutes and soon got chatting to a few other members.

The "T" Shirt thing, sounds to me a good idea :good: , as it would at least point us newbies in the right direction. The biggest issue for me (and still is!) Is knowing who to talk to to get info on things like the raffle, mugs, tea etc.

One idea I thought of would be to have a meet and greet person (specific task to meet/ greet arrivals at the show and direct them as to "What, Who and where".

Looking forward to next year and getting a bit more involved... :friends:

Just my thoughts...

Hi All,

Interesting thread here, so I'll pitch in too.

I bought my kit (part-started) in the December of 2004 and at that time, my nearest club was the North-East Region, so I travelled the 70 miles or so up there to say hello and tell all and sundry what I'd bought. A great bunch of lads who were very freindly and offered loads of advice.

As time went on, I heard about another group forming up in West Yorkshire (Keighley) so being as this was quite a bit nearer, I went there too. Another great bunch.

From the numerous Club Meets, Shows and runs out and as I eventually got 'On The Road', I met up with the North West crowd and guess what? Yep, another great bunch. I don't know all these people equally well, some 'gell' better than others. Some you get to know over a longer period of time than others. Such is life eh?

I turned up at Stafford on Saturday having met up with yet two more Hoodies whom I'd not met personally before. In fact at one of the rendezvous points, we were nattering so much that we started to run late! (enjoyed the run down btw Guys - Thanks).

No sooner had I parked up at Stafford, a guy was asking me questions about my car. I spent 15 minutes or so chatting away and then another Guy who'd bided his time, took his turn in asking me questions. It's really fine. This is what it's all about. I enjoy chatting away and take it as a compliment. If people ask you specific build questions, I assume it's because they like what they see? I haven't forgotten the numerous (and often dumb) questions that I barraged people with during the course of my build and in fact, it got so much of a habit, some say I still do! :D

I then had a wander around and said hello to those I knew on the RHOCaR stand and generally smiled at everyone I didn't know. After this I tottered off to the main hall and had a good look around. Ditto all this for Sunday.

OK. Enough said. I can only speak for myself. I'm not a Committee Member but I know all of them and for me they're doing a great job. I can appreciate though, that to anyone new, we could occasionally appear to be a closed group. This is sooooooo not true. It's just that we're all catching up with events etc. Approach us, tell us who you are and what you're up to. You WILL be made welcome.

Hi all , i had a great time too with my son , spoke to plenty of people and had a good time , thanks to the club for looking after us for the weekend, and to those who where sat around the fire taking the p*** out of another member on sat night you know who you are, come on guys there is no need for behaveour like that even if you have had a few drinks . but all in all had a great time.

justin.

Guest Ian & Carole

I spend quite a large amount of time and some of my money setting things up for the shows, sorting out Den Tanners camping fee two weeks ago cost me best part of a day and several phone calls.

Some times we dont go to the shows in the Kit because I have too much stuff to bring along for you all.

On Saturday night at Stafford, having started to cook the £80.00 worth of food supplied we realised that the "Big Top" was over flowing, so four of us went and fetched the gazebo from the field to make more sitting space for every one.

I regularly go to the GBS factory to collect, check, update, clean, and generally net work with them as they store and transport all the big stuff for me FOC.

I feel that this is a great club, but you will never please all of the people all of the time........

Some on here who like to throw stones should take a long hard look at them selves over the years.

Any one on here remember the pre Tim Norman days?????????????!!!!!!!!!!! maby not, when three or four tents styed over and the committee stayed in hotels???? and the then chairman only spoke to certain members.

Carole and I do our very best, along with the rest of the committee for you all, but some times it just dosent seem to be enough.

I think that mabye it time for a new events secretary so at the AGM at Stoneleigh one of you, smarter, better orginized, and more frendly then I am perceved to be should step up to the bar and take over.

Hi all,

this was my first show and i found the club extreamly friendly. I can understand the comments on the tread, however i found that the people i made the effort with made the effort back. I did feel that a couple of people apeared un approchable but once i introduced myself it was all good. as a whole i must of met over 10 new faces from all over and got plenty of tips and advice.

regards

keith

I spend quite a large amount of time and some of my money setting things up for the shows, sorting out Den Tanners camping fee two weeks ago cost me best part of a day and several phone calls.

Some times we dont go to the shows in the Kit because I have too much stuff to bring along for you all.

On Saturday night at Stafford, having started to cook the £80.00 worth of food supplied we realised that the "Big Top" was over flowing, so four of us went and fetched the gazebo from the field to make more sitting space for every one.

I regularly go to the GBS factory to collect, check, update, clean, and generally net work with them as they store and transport all the big stuff for me FOC.

I feel that this is a great club, but you will never please all of the people all of the time........

Some on here who like to throw stones should take a long hard look at them selves over the years.

Any one on here remember the pre Tim Norman days?????????????!!!!!!!!!!! maby not, when three or four tents styed over and the committee stayed in hotels???? and the then chairman only spoke to certain members.

Carole and I do our very best, along with the rest of the committee for you all, but some times it just dosent seem to be enough.

I think that mabye it time for a new events secretary so at the AGM at Stoneleigh one of you, smarter, better orginized, and more frendly then I am perceved to be should step up to the bar and take over.

Agree Ian- I can remember when the club was a bit segregated and personally now I feel has a good balance. I can remember as well that certain organisers were criticised for too much organisation at shows and one of the first shows I went to you had to book in ie id yourself, join or turn away !

Paul

Guest Tim Norman

I have not been to many shows this year what with working away from home my weekends are usually booked up. When I have been, I have deliberately stayed out of the big top so as not to step on any toes etc. I have noticed though that the current comittee do their best to make sure everyone has what they want / need and that every one is included. I also noticed that there are still little groups who sit away from the main crowd, that is their perogative, but I always made a point of wandering over and having a chat even if it was just to say hello. I for one was very pleased when the committee stood up to the plate and carried on what Pete and myself started, they are better organised than we were and work hard behind the scenes to make sure this Club is one of the best. Sure, you can't please all the people all the time. I remember we had one particualr member who wanted things all his own way, but when it was put to the vote and it didn't go his way he spat the dummy out and left the Club! He is now a Scout Master and has lots of people who think he is great. We didn't dwell on it, he made his choice, and we accepted it. In any Club there are always those who will step up and be counted, and always those who like to heckle, some in the background, some in your face. I have no problem with either, everyone is entitled to their view. However, if you stand outside the circle and don't make a noise, how are we to know that your are unhappy, or new, or just need a hug. If you don't ask you won't get! On the flipside there is school of thought that believes "If you have never been slapped then you have never asked!"

Most members aren't mind readers. If you have a question or opinion on here then it gets answered, the same applies in the field.

You just need to find your voice, and use it.

Guest mastarforth

I would like to put my two pence in here if I may

Firstly the organisation of events for me since I joined3-4 years ago has been superb and hats off to all involved in setting them up.

the original comments I think have been taken out of proprtion.

It is human nature that we all group into "cliques" and as we only see each other once in a while it is only natural that people will want to catch up and appear to be closed units. The thing is what binds us all together is the love if cars, how many of us would actually walk past a car with the bonnet up? regardless of type.

The idea of Coloured shirts etc. for committee members whilst would allow people to clearly see who is who, it would segregate the committee from enjoying the show themselves and therefore I do not feel it is fair to anyof them, and could actually help to drive the organisers of these events away from the shows all together.

I have had the feeling of closed units before, but once you get over the first few moments of hard conversation, I have always found it easy to talk to all members, new or possible new members have to get over their fears of interupting as I am sure everyone would agree we are all preapred to show off our cars and help people that are currently in build.

lets not get into a pointing fingers session, we all want the success fo the club to continue. We are the best supported club at shows as we are approachable and open. Lets put concerns to the fore for discussion, but lets not turn it into a stick fight, loosely veiling comments with descriptions of individual actions, but put suggestiosn as to how we can improve to make a better club for us all.

Off soap box

Andrew