Front Wishbone Covering

Al Milton

Hi All,

I am thinking of ways to cover in the mounting points for the front wishbones.

I know the common method is to use driveshaft boots, but I was wondering whether anyone knows what / where these types of things are from?

I saw them at a show and took some notes, but in true nugget fashion I have since lost the details.

Cheers

Al

post-1475-1264007838_thumb.jpg

I'm determined not to use any push-on edging or other semi-temporary stuff on my build so I decided to make some covers myself.

I made a wooden former, took a fibreglass mould off it and then moulded 4 fibreglass covers. They take a bit of trimming to get the cut-out to allow the wishbone to move but it's not too difficult.The covers fit over the wishbone before it's fitted and are then fixed in place against the side panels. I also had to change the wishbone bolts to high tensile buttom head ones so they cleared the inside of the moulding.

Should look ok once their painted. With hindsight I could have had them slightly wider but they work and one basic moulding fits all 4 places.

47jpg.jpg

48jpg.jpg

Guest superspec

The first picture shown is of my car and the wishbone covers are cut from the spare wheel cover of a mitsubushi and trimmed with the good old push on trim.

I bonded on some small brackets which were then riveted onto the side panels. Once the nosecone is on you dont see any fixings. I pinched the idea from Rusty who has the same thing on his car. :rolleyes:

Thats a bit harsh and not really very constructive.

I think they are a good effort and when painted to match the car should look spot on, you'll also find the IVA regs are quite a bit stricter on the need for things to be permanent and cable ties and a bit of foam won't cut the mustard any longer.

Nice reply Steve and a bit more diplomatic than my initial thoughts ;) , just goes to prove everyone has different tastes and is free to express them.

To everyone else who has been positive about this, thanks for your thoughts and input.

I'll be looking for either a spare wheel cover or a window draft thing (via e-bay), although I do like the profile of the wheel cover shown on Superspec's car.

Richyb66, if I can't source the wheel cover, your option looks good - don't suppose you still have the former to loan, for some drinking tokens obviously.

The stainless option is also a good option worth considering.

Oh - decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Al

saw them at a show and took some notes, but in true nugget fashion I have since lost the details.

Glyn (Rusty) Rust made these for his car and the yellow one in the photo.

send him a message and i am sure he will tell you how he did it.

Dinger, good question - but I think this would be a more 'permanent' fixture than the driveshaft boot and cable tie method.

Not that there is anything wrong with that method, I just prefer the visual aesthetics of this method.

Good shout Snapperpaul, i'll drop Rusty a PM to see whether he can expand on Superspecs desdription. He may confirm whether this was a pre or post test mod as well.

Cheers

Al