Speedo Pick Up Magnet

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

ive got an acewell digi dash that ive got to install, a small magnet with a thread on one end of it came in the kit, where is the best place to mount it? i thought either drill and tap a small hole on the prop (the magnet is tiny so i doubt it would upset any balance) or failing that i was going to drill and tap it on to the diff input flange, which ones best?

Been thinking of this (have ETB electronic speedo to fit).

Discounted the prop / flanges as once finished it is boxed in, so am looking at the diff flanges, but so I can get at them (and pick up) if anything goes wrong in the future easy to do now but a pig to change in the future if fitted in the wrong place :(

Steve

Guest scrabster

hi,drilled and epoxyed mine in the diff flange and made a bracket for the sensor to mount to the tunnel floor,can just get my fingers to it through the prop grease hole.as you say a bit of a pig to get at in the future.

jess.

Guest loopyonion

I cheated with mine, and bonded a small 90 degree bracket with the magnet threaded into it, inside of the front wheel, and drilled a small bracket into the cycle wing wount. Made this adjustable, and its barely noticable. Plus, its was easier to just calculate the circumference of the tyre, and job done. Dont forget to tidy and cover the wires on the way back.

You can extend the pickup wiring, but use a good quality screened cable if you can!

Should be ok for IVA, otherwise I will have to alter my setup, which I dont want to do!

Cheers

Steve.

Another option could be to semi-recess the magnet into the prop shaft flange bolt heads (sort of counter sunk) and bond in with epoxy.

Make a simple sturdy bracket to align the sensor to magnet.

Plan to do this with mine............................ eventually :rolleyes:

Al

I had 2 magnets to fit on my ETB Mk 1

Superglued them to the prop and made a bracket that fastened to the gear lever case top for the pickup.

Another option could be to semi-recess the magnet into the prop shaft flange bolt heads (sort of counter sunk) and bond in with epoxy.

Make a simple sturdy bracket to align the sensor to magnet.

Plan to do this with mine............................ eventually :rolleyes:

Al

The problem being on the Zero the prop is totally enclosed when the build is finished. Ok you could mount it on the gearbox end of the prop and remove the tunnel top to get at it, but I would think that would only work on an MT75 box as the prop moves in and out of a type 9 at this point.

Note to self - STOP PLANING AND GET BUILDING :unsure:

Steve

I've not actually done it or even close to doing it yet, but i'll be needing to mount a sensor magnet also.

I'm going to make a full Diameter collar (in 2 halves that bolt together to form a clamp) to fit over the CV joint casing next to the diff. The magnet will be recessed into the collar.

Regards,

Nick.

I,ve got the acewell also and i drilled one of the prop bolts slightly and put a small magnet into the bolt with epoxy resin its been there 2 yrs or more now i then made a simple L shape bracket for the pickup and mounted to the floor just foward of the bolt.

Calibrating is fun you will need a gps speedo ( road angle ) and a quiet road and a bit of trial and error mine is now spot on .

Guest zoomzoom

At my sva test the speedo was tested by running the car in the rollers so only the rear wheels where turning so be careful if you fit the sensor to the wheels fit it to a driven wheel.

Also the magnets fell off after only about 200 miles (£13 for a pair :o ) so mine now runs on the gps function (digidash)

Marcus

If you whip the lid off a computer hard-drive there is a magnet in there that'll do the job - yes I know it's a very odd idea thinking of a dead powerful magnet inside a magnetic storage device but they are there.

Iain