Bugger, What Now!

gncgray

Morning everyone

I need some help....I was cutting the hole bigger in my fuel tank for the sender unit and have now found out it`s the wrong sender :shok: I really dont want to buy another tank. Is it ok to bond and rivet some 2.5mm alaminium plate over the hole and recut the correct size one?

Graham

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Graham,

Bugger indeed!! I would probably air on the side of caution here considering what goes into the fuel tank. I don't think stuff like Sikaflex, Tigerseal and the others out there like petrol (pretty sure it eats it and will leak after time). If it were me I would bite the bullet and end up with a new tank. It might be worth PMing Shaft as I kow he had a spare on a little while ago unless it went eventually??

Other problem you have when cutting is swark and crap falling into the tank and being sure you get it all out.

Sorry not more positive!!

John

Blue Hylomar is petrol resistant and I've heard that JB weld (the 2 part stuff a bit like Araldite) also works well on fuel tanks.

Use aluminium pop rivets but make sure they're the sealed type - the end you put through the hole is closed off so you don't get a through hole when the mandrel snaps off and the bulb on the end of the mandrell remains captive inside the rivet.

Guest peter2b2002

I would make a plate to cover the hole ,then cut the correct size hole get some cork gasket and bolt or use self tappers to hold in place

peter2b

Machine a ring for the new sender unit complete with tapped holes for bolting the sender in, then get the ring welded to the tank..... Simples. Lol.

Shouldn't cost much for a ring to be knocked up for you Graham? Plenty of peeps on here with lathes?

HTH,

Nick.

i cut the hole (if that makes sense) out of the sierra tank with a inch lip and then araldite'd and riveted it to my ss-tank. Haven't had a problem in 2 years and because it has the correct shaping the fuel sender fits the same as it did on the seirra, just twists and locks in.

hth