Classic 2012

Guest chris brown

Guest chris brown

I know it is a long time in the future. But having said I wouldn’t do either the 24 hour or the Classic again and Steve (chairman) saying the same, we have somehow talked each other into going to the classic again in 2012. So here we go I will start taking names and to start things off I have Simon Carroll, Ian Johnson, Steve Johnstone, Stephen Altwesser and me. Not bad with 22 months to go. :drinks:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Richard Parcell

I know it is a long time in the future. But having said I wouldn’t do either the 24 hour or the Classic again and Steve (chairman) saying the same, we have somehow talked each other into going to the classic again in 2012. So here we go I will start taking names and to start things off I have Simon Carroll, Ian Johnson, Steve Johnstone, Stephen Altwesser and me. Not bad with 22 months to go. :drinks:

Hi Chris

I am new to the kit car world and was wondering if you could give me more information on the le mans classic trip i.e is there an itinary and approximate costing.

Regards

Richard

Hi, I been pondering with the idea of going to the Classic in 2012, as you have been before are you able to give details of the journey, such how long it takes, the sort of speed you travel and any other details which are relevant.

Jez

We went in July in the big convoy and it was a bit of a nightmare, so we have learned our lessons and for 2012 I would think it'll go something along these lines:

Monday - drive down to Dover and stay over in travelodge or similar

Tuesday - ferry over to Calais/Boulogne, costs from £22 and upwards return, drive 140 miles down to campsite nr Rouen, cost 35 euros for two nights for two people in July.

Wednesday - run out, we went to Pegasus Bridge nr the D-day beaches this year

Thursday - drive down to Le Mans, 120 miles, set up camp for the weekend.

Friday - go down to the track for practice and to tour the pits

Saturday and Sunday - race time, dip in and out as you fancy

Monday - break camp early and head back to the ferry port, either stay over in cheap French hotel and ferry on Tuesday morning, or evening ferry and stay over in travelodge then last leg home on the Tuesday.

Lessons learnt:

Morning ferry is preferable to allow time to get down to campsite in Rouen

Convoy on motorway is ok, but needs rules to manage toll booths, just pay, get through and wait at side of road, no parking up and no leaving cars - each set of tolls took us 20 - 30 minutes with 18 cars this year, made what should have been a relatively quick run an absolute nightmare

If travelling from Rouen to Le Mans on the N roads small groups of no more than 5 cars, each group has a 'leader' with details of route, other peoples mobile numbers, CB radios etc,

I need more up to date maps for my Sat Nav, or a new one.

Have a back up atlas

Have a plan B

Camping passes were £85 this year, full access race tickets were 51 euros, so by shopping around for ferries and cheap hotels it can be done for £300 for two in a car, £250 for one in a car, then add money for fuel, food and booze

Hi Steve ,Ron Bailey , I talked to you at the Stafford show , just gone , about the posssibilities of me joining you on your trips to the Le Mans 24 hr , albeit I would be travelling down in my motorhome towing my rhood , tying up with you guys on the way down and during the race , this is the only way I would want to take my hood to this event , you did say you didnt see this as a problem as I wouldnt want to upset any other member on the trip.So could you please consider me on one of your trips for the future especially in 2012. Agaain thanks for your hospitality at the Staffotd show

NoT sure I can make this event a lot on this year,moving house, changing motor home etc, will have to see,put me down as a no at the moment, I would still liike to be there. Ronboyracer 56 Thames close Congleton

Edited by compo

Hi Jez,

theyre not ignoring you, they just cant manage more than one thing at a time....at their age...

Where was I???

Oh yes, its about 200 miles from Calais. If done in one hit its about 5 easy hours. Given that we dont want to stretch the cars & risk breaking anything , nobody drives fast, We take the N or A roads, avoiding motorways & toll roads as far as possible. This year some stayed over in Rouen (about 2/3 of the way there) depends how far you drive to get to Dover really...

Cost for the campsite was pretty dear, 4 nights was 85 Euro, but the showers & loos were pretty good.

Theres a website called "beermountain" that has a load of info about LeMans, mostly about the regular 24hr but still relevant to the classic.

HTH Bob

Guest chris brown

Hi Jez,

theyre not ignoring you, they just cant manage more than one thing at a time....at their age...

Sorry been away a few days so thanks Steve for giving all the answers. Yes it is more expensive than the 24 hour which came as a bit of a shock this year, but well worth it IMHO

No problem with the motorhome Compo and we don’t travel fast but would like to beat our 5 hours for 130 miles we did from Rouen the Le Mans this year

• 1 year later...
Guest chris brown

Hi All again

I have emailed the ACO once again but an not too worred as it seems to be the same every year i.e. Order tickets either by post or email, Thay might or might not confirm order (this year got an automated email) then nothing for many months.

Anyway up to date I have the following wanting tickets:-

Me

Bob & Sylvia Fry

Steve Johnston

Laura Johnston

Stephen Altwasser

Hugh

Peter Ray

Richard Parcell

Ian Marr

Ronald Bailey

Simon Carroll

Jason Hughes

Geoff Critchley

Chris Stubbs

Baz

Will (with Baz )

BigLee

The Little fella ( BigLee's Dad)

Chris & Chris

If others want to join in then either PM or Email me (email address in front of Mag)

I may not reply for a couple of weeks as it is holiday time again :acute:

8)

Chris