Classic 2012

Guest chris brown

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest peter2b2002

just went on a 45mile test run since i fixed the brakes and the dizy, ran fine though it does run a bit hot 95 deg -100, before i changed the clutch/cam belt etc it only went that hi in jams/ ques but now it stays there all the time , timing??? , i set it @ 8deg on tick over

peter2b

Guest chris brown

It may be a little retarded it does tend to make the old pinto run a bit hot. Mine is set at 12 deg. I think 10 deg befor TDC is normal on the EFI

Guest peter2b2002

car washed and packed , can't get into my hotel till 4pm so I will be leaving here @ 11.30 I will adjust the timing when I get to the hotel

peter2b

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smash

Everyone get back OK? The frog definitely didn't want to come home - the drivers sidepipe parted company with the down pipe screaming away from Arnage roundabout. Luckily my comprehensive toolkit of one 17mm spanner was at hand for exactly this occasion so minimal traffic disruption. Then on Monday morning it started and died after a minute then would not restart - never had such a hideous sinking feeling! Massively indebted to fate and the 5 mechanics in the transit camped next to us who did the fastest fault find in history and had it running again in literally 5 minutes. Diagnosed air lock in fuel and cured it by pouring petrol direct into carb to start it and draw fuel through.

Total Legends and in their honour, on the A28, I performed the "Marche Wing dans une Voiture!"*

*Smash est un pilote acrobate formé - s'il vous plaît ne pas essayer ce en Angleterre!

599844_10151103863787806_1704501320_n.jpg

Luckily my co-pilot brought a set of what were, up until this point, completely unnecessary ski goggles! Sur le A28...

391555_10151103871632806_973830226_n.jpg

Finally back from twelve day trip to the classic, thanks to Sir Chris for once again organising things in the face of diminishing interest. Thanks and well done to everybody who went and made it another great trip to the continent, you lot are what makes this club special.

Over 1400 miles and the engine never missed a beat, but I did break the gearbox mounting when I hit bloody big lump of tarmac on a country lane going to rescue Simon who'd run out of fuel. So a bit of hoody know-how and ingenuity was called for, some borrowed caravan levellers were used as ramps and the gearbox mount packed out with wood and it's stayed there for 375 miles and got us home under our own steam.

Camping Le Clos Normand at Bourg Achard still retains it's rustic charm, and a warm welcome for Hoodies with a picture of our last visit on the wall as well as a mug in pride of place on the fireplace behind the reception desk.

Anybody looking for a campsite in northern France, then you won't go far wrong if you book in at Camping La Ferme des Aulnes, just had 3 great nights there, great facilities, really friendly staff and you'll get mobbed if you're in your kit car.

Laura's just wondering when her ears are going to stop buzzing from the drag back up from Dover, and hoping we never get caught in another downpour like the one near Maidstone today. It only lasted 30 seconds, but you could not see through the rain, cars were careering to a stop all over the motorway, I took to the hard shoulder by feeling the rumble strips and luckily got there before I hit the 4 cars that were stopped in the nearside lane which I only saw as they went past my door!

Another big thanks to Chris B for taking the trouble to arrange this trip,we couldn't have gone without the club. Great time had by us both,the cars were fantastic ;on track & up close in the paddocks. Will need a few more days R & R to recover from all the walking at Le Mans,the 1100 mile round trip & the noise. It was very wet when we left England, dry most time in France ( or we were in a dry place) but returned to home shores & met a cloud-burst as we climbed away from the coast yesterday; 6/8" floods & rivers wider than a single carriage-way; I'm sure Florin "floated" once as we lost traction going through flood-water. Home safe now,no incidents at all; grass cut before we left & must be cut again tomorrow,any-one got a few ton of green concrete spare?