Steering Pump Hose

bullfist

On the Rover T-series engines (for the 2004 super-specs), the steering pump is on the same spindle as the water pump. So it is not an option to easily remove it. Therefore I have a looped the input to the output, added a small header tank and filled it with power steering fluid. However, I have used rubber heater hose to attach one end of the pump to my loop. This hose has now swollen to twice its diameter and looks ready to burst. Thus do I need a special hose type to connect this? Would vacuum hose be sufficient? I had previously tried a silicone-rubber hose (which was easy to work with) but did burst. It's hard to imagine that the steering pump is creating pressure to expand this hose, as it's just looped back to the input.

Any ideas gratefully received.

thanks,

-Steve

Guest Peter Kelly

On the Rover T-series engines (for the 2004 super-specs), the steering pump is on the same spindle as the water pump. So it is not an option to easily remove it. Therefore I have a looped the input to the output, added a small header tank and filled it with power steering fluid. However, I have used rubber heater hose to attach one end of the pump to my loop. This hose has now swollen to twice its diameter and looks ready to burst. Thus do I need a special hose type to connect this? Would vacuum hose be sufficient? I had previously tried a silicone-rubber hose (which was easy to work with) but did burst. It's hard to imagine that the steering pump is creating pressure to expand this hose, as it's just looped back to the input.

Any ideas gratefully received.

thanks,

-Steve

Hi Steve

My 6year old Super Spec has a length of clear plastic hose on the input and a length of heavy rubber fuel hose on the output from the pump.

Large diameter fuel line is obtainable from Farm Tractor agents.

There is also a pressure release valve on the top of the header tank.

Hope this helps.

Peter

post-4512-0-13284800-1306244771_thumb.jpg

Guest mower man

You need the approprate length of hydraulic hose with wire reinforcing it comes in several grade/types of consruction but I would think what is called single wrap would be plenty man enough for the job in hand find your local hose shop or plant and eqpt yard NOT diy stuff and they should be able to help poss even a good off cut it is rated at probably 20 bar pressure [2800p.s.i.] Don't think it will be reaching that sort of pressures so it will be fit and forget HTH mowerman BTW put your location in or better still join the club :good:

I had a bit of a trial with a local hose supplier when I mentioned hydraulic hose - he gave me the wire re-inforced stuff.

You dont need this as the system is not under any pressure with the fluid looped through a resevoir, simpler and easier option, just get proper power steering hose.

I have a Rover 200 resevoir, (made it simple).

The inlet and outlet on the pump are the same diameter as the inlet and outlet on the resevoir (think its 16mm and 13mm o/d).

Visit the scrappy for the hoses (or keep an eye on e-bay).

The heater hose is only compatible with water, anything else will permeate through the hose.