Alternative To Gauges

codo

Hi Guys,

I have had the mad idea of using a Raspberry Pi with a 7" TFT screen, instead of normal gauges. Assuming I can get it working, should this be acceptable for IVA?

I was thinking of having the Speedo and Tacho displayed, also with the warning lights (indicators, handbrake, etc).

I assume this would need to be backlit, but could I have problems with glare? It would also need to boot very quickly when the ignition is turned.

As mentioned, this may just be a mad idea, but thought I ought to check if it would be IVA legal before giving it any more thought.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

IVA would only dictate the location of the LCD screen on you dash.And the provision of warning lights.You might want to think about the edges on the casing for the LCD. IVA dictates a certain radius ( also this depends on where you place the screen). Anything else should be down to you making it display the correct variables. As you have mentioned, the glare would be a problem. A suitable LCD to get over the glare problem would be expensive

don't know what a raspberry pi is but does it have TV? as i thought you can't have TV playing when you are driving. just a thought i may be wrong on both accounts.

Three letters, "ras", typed into the search box of Google and the first line offered to me was "raspberry pi".

Click on that and follow a link or two and you will learn.

Google is a bit like the old proverb - Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Consider Google as fishing.

IVA don't look at tamper proof, how can they

They certainly don't ask or indeed obses over the milage gauge only thing they are conserned with is speedo accuracy

DVLA might but unless your MOT milage and gauge milage were out no one could tell

Well no one will know until a home made display is presented

However no comment has been made when a car with guages from the donor is presented with 80k on the clock

Your argument does not stand

DVLA may have something to say but not VOSA at IVA

I don't see anything in the IVA manual do lets not find problems where they don't exist

Edited by Snapperpaul